Saturday Share Recipe - Summer Squash Fry

When I was a kid, my Dad planted a huge garden every summer. When the Yellow Crookneck Squash started producing, we had enough to supply the entire neighborhood.

My Mom always cooked that delightful yellow squash, called Summer Squash by many, and made it so delicious that there were never any leftovers. We always preferred yellow squash over zucchini.

My husband's grandmother cooked squash in a similar fashion with a few additions that gave it added texture and flavor. Next week, I'll give Granny Smith's recipe.

But today, I'll tell you how my Mom cooked it and made it so delicious. Serves 6-8.

SUMMER SQUASH FRY

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds of yellow squash, sliced in rounds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 strips of bacon
  • 1 small bell pepper, any color, diced
  • 1 medium to large onionm diced
Directions
1. Fry the bacon until crisp, remove to a paper towel and crumble the bacon.

2. In the fat that was rendered from the bacon, saute the bell pepper and onion until translucent. Remove and save to add back in a bit.

3. Add the sliced squash to the pan and stir fry over medium to high heat until the squash is softened. 
Add the bell pepper and onion back to the frying pan and continue cooking so that the onion begins to caramelize. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste.

4. Add the crumbled bacon to the squash. Serve hot. 

TAKEAWAY TRUTH

I love vegetables because I grew up eating them fresh from the garden. Produce in stores can't hold a candle to fresh from the garden. That's why I always have a kitchen garden.

Sign up for my free NL that offers exclusive content and news about book bargains and new releases. I promise your email will never be shared. SIGN UP TODAY. and receive your copy of I LOVE READING in your Inbox next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment