Travel Provides Backdrop For Mona Risk

Today, I'm a little late in getting to the office, but I'm excited to welcome romance author Mona Risk to SlingWords. (If you visit Mona's blog, you'll find her social network links.)

In a past life, as Mona says, she was a chemist who mixed solutions, dipped her gloved fingers in dirty waste, and ran complicated equipment in order to declare drinking water safe for consumption.

In 1995, Mona won an international contract to refurbish laboratories in Belarus, and that's really where this story begins.

Travel Provides Backdrop For Novels
by Mona Risk


When I won the contract to refurbish labs in Belarus, I pulled several maps and opened the Internet to learn as much as I could about this new country. The entire prospect was rather frightening.

However, my fear of the unknown subsided when several officials from Washington, DC accompanied my team to introduce us. I was holding a large purse and pulling two carry-on's, one with official papers and the other with my supply of drinking water for the week along with apples pre-washed with safe American water and a box of crackers I planned to survive on. No wonder I was slim at the time.

We landed in Minsk without problems, excitement bubbling up in me. Things deteriorated as the passengers pushed each other toward an wobbly old escalator. Two of my chemists preceded me with as much luggage as I was dragging. My first step on the damn escalator sent me flying and screaming straight into my companions’ back. One caught my carry-on and the other saved my neck.

Later we were well received by everyone: officers, directors, chemists, journalists. I worked with colonels and generals, was invited to theirs homes, and became friends with their wives. I traveled fifteen times to Minsk over the course of three years and appreciated the Belarusian hospitality. During the inauguration of the lab we were featured on their national TV several times. Needless to say, I fell in love with Belarus.

My contract also encompassed business trips and lab refurbishments in Ukraine, Russia, and Kazakhstan. I enjoyed visiting Moscow and Sergei Possad, in Russia, and I didn’t mind a tour of Kiev in the Ukraine.

Ouman

Unfortunately, the lab where we worked was located in Ouman, a small city where running water was available for two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. You had to save water in a pitcher to flush the toilet and store your supply of drinking water in another pitcher.

In both cases, it was the same water that sat in the rusty pipes for ten hours prior to use. I also filled an aluminum bucket—they call it a tub over there—and heated the water with an electric coil for my weekly bath in a freezing room! I couldn’t wait to get out of Ouman.

Kazakhstan

In winter, Kazakhstan looked like the North Pole. An icy white desert stretching to the horizon. The spring offered beautiful scenery. I have gorgeous pictures of hordes of wild horses running free in the country side. I could have enjoyed Kazakhstan, but Stepnogorsk, the god-forsaken place where we worked, was infested with mosquitoes that delighted on sucking my blood. So I spent more time smacking and squashing the pesky suckers than admiring nature.

Stepnogorsk

Stepnogorsk boasts one large avenue but very few paved streets. Is it any surprise that I broke my knee while strolling through the so-called streets? I listened to local advice and rubbed my knee and leg with vodka to disinfect and numb the pain, but I refused to be treated by “a good doctor from the old communist regime.”

When I almost got arrested at the international airport of Almaty, the capital, for carrying a lovely little icon I bought in Moscow and still had in my suitcase, I swore to God I would never return to that place.

Vodka, Vodka, Vodka

In Belarus, I learned the many uses of vodka. Shot glasses of vodka were shoved in my hands to celebrate contracts. Bottles of vodka were generously passed around when we walked in the freezing cold. When I ran out of apples and crackers, I had no choice but to share the official dinner, sitting next to a general who gallantly filled my plate with greasy morsels.

My stomach revolted. Before dessert, I excused myself and made a beeline for the nearest restroom and later locked myself in my hotel room, wondering if I was going to die alone in a Belarusian hotel. Not to fear. The general sent two colonels with a bottle of vodka and orders to cure me with as many drinks as they deemed necessary. After four doses of vodka, I forgot my stomach cramps, my headache and even my name.

People were genuinely nice but totally ignored the meaning of deadline. Patience and resilience were necessary virtues when working in Eastern countries. After so many trips and incredible adventures, we accomplished our mission, and I had fascinating stories that needed to be shared.

First Book

Five years later, I took an early retirement to write my first book. My husband and I moved from Ohio to sunny Florida and never regretted leaving the cold and the snow. During my career as a lab director, I traveled to over fifty countries for business or vacation. I like to write contemporary romances so I set my stories in the fascinating places I had visited.

To Love A Hero, the sizzling romance of an American scientist and a Belarusian general, blossoms amid a web of intrigue and a clash of two cultures. Through my novel, I relived my fantastic trips to Belarus. My novel highlights the hospitality and warmth of the gorgeous and gallant Belarusian officers who sing, toast with vodka, and make a woman feel like a goddess.

Also set in Belarus is RX in Russian.

My travels have provided exciting and exotic backdrops for my novels. Along with the two books set in Belarus, I have two set in France: French Peril and Right Name, Wrong Man. One book is set in Egypt and the Seychelles: Osiris' Missing Part.

Last but not least, two romance novels are set in my home country of the U. S.: Babies in the Bargain and No More Lies.

Joan's 2 Cents

Thanks, Mona, for the fascinating look at countries most people never have the opportunity to visit.

Takeaway Truth

Emily Dickinson wrote: "There is no Frigate like a book to take us lands away...." Do some armchair traveling today with a good book set in a foreign locale.

46 comments:

  1. Hi Joan, thank you for hosting me on your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona Risk said... thank you for hosting me on your beautiful blog.

    Hello, Mona. It's my pleasure. Just reading about your adventures makes me want to read your books!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mona, you have lived such a rich and fascinating life! This must be what makes your books so wonderful. They say write what you know, and obviously you know a lot about the world.

    And yes, you're right, Joan has a lovely blog site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MONA--that's a funny story about the Vodka for medicine. Sounded like it worked.
    I am totally amazed by your accomplishments. I all my big range of friends hither and yon, I do not know anyone with your background. It's almost unbelievable, and no wonder you live in Florida. Right now, I almost wished I live there, too.
    Texas is very cold..and has been for weeks-unusually early.
    I enjoyed reading your fascinating journey through those countries. How on earth did you manage?
    Good luck and best wishes for the success of your book...you're doing very well, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoroughly enjoyed your blog, Mona. Hope you have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've lived an amazing life, Mona, and you're getting a second use out of your experiences. Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waving, Mona. You know this story is a favorite of mine - probably always will be. I am so glad I got to be a part of reading it during the beginning of your writing process. It is a great read and I know you must have a lot of readers who feel the same way as I do. Best of luck to you always, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, having gone through enough water issues right here, Ouman sounds like near torture!

    A great blog, Mona. Love hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mona - every time I read one of your blogs, I learn about another place you've visited. Have you been to outer space yet? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your adventures. I added all those places to the list of places where I will never, ever go.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fascinating stories, Mona. The places sound interesting but I definitely wouldn't fancy the one where you only get two hours of water a day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Mona, that was very cool reading about your adventures! You've had a fascinating life so far.

    I have to say, though, that I tend to agree that vodka makes good medicine. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mona, how fascinating. I enjoyed my virtual tour of all these places with you, but think I will pass on an actual one. You amaze me with all you've done in addition to being a fabulous author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an interesting post. What fun to know more about you, Mona.

    P.R. Mason

    ReplyDelete
  15. Allison Chase... Thank you! I'm glad you like SlingWords. Thanks for visiting.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Celia Yeary ... Thanks for visiting. Yes, we're shivering here in south Texas.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sherry Gloag ... Thanks for stopping by!

    Happy Holidays!
    Joan Reeves

    ReplyDelete
  18. gracious. I've never poured vodka on a wound before but I can see that it would have disinfectant qualities being an alcohol. (We used methanol in chem lab to clean glassware, so it makes sense)

    I'm glad you survived the wilds of Russia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your stories are so exciting and interesting, Mona. Hope you're enjoying sunny Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mona, I feel like a slacker after reading your adventures! Thanks for sharing them! At least I can travel vicariously through your books.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mona, You do lead an exciting life!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mona, I love your story about your real life adventure in Belarus! I have to read your book now--and I never would have thought of Belarus as a fascinating place!
    Stephanie Queen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Allison, thanks for the support here and at FRW. Yes, I know a lot about the Russian countries now, the good, the sweet, and the not so good. LOL. Learned it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Celia, everytime I see the word Texas I think about you. Is that branding or what? I guess I'm branded with international settings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sherry, thank you for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed my stories. There are so many of them, sprinkled in my books and now endorsed by my heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Ana, my kids keep asking for a memoir. Who knows, I may write it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Paisley, I'll always remember our first writing steps, when we didn't know the ABC of writing, but bravely trudged on and advised each other. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loraine, Ouman has a special place in my heart, because it was in my hotel room that I took the decision that was going to change my life: to quit chemistry and start writing. My father was a published author and it's always been my dream to write.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Barbara, I can't go out of space. I'm afraid of height. LOL. But I did sit in a cockpit several times because my DH was selling these engines and checked on them by talking to the pilotes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Barbara, I can't blame you for not wanting to go to Ouman or Stepnogorsk, but Kiev is a splendid city. The men in my team loved Kazakhstan and its wild life, but my idea of camping according to my DH is the Hilton hotel, so you can imagine I suffered a bit without my comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Helen, I won't give you the details of the special smells around 5pm just before the water returned and we were able to flush the toilets!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Norah, at the time I coughed and choked on my first drinks, but soon toasting with vodka became part of my job description in foreign countries.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you Beth. I had too many adventures that needed to be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Confucious Cat-- love that surname. Glad you enjoyed the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Maggie, I can't remember if vodka has 40% or 70% of alcohol, but at the time my brain was convinced it must have been 90%. Nevertheless, I had a knee surgery as soon as I went back home. Vodka has no long term healing effect.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Josie, I always call Florida, and Fort Lauderdale, Paradise on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Carolyn, anytime you want to travel reach for one of my books or go to my blog. My DH is worse than me. He can't stay put two months in a row. So I always take my camera and shot as many pictures as I can to share on my blog. And I scrible notes for future references.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Morgan, it was exciting, but also tiring. It took a toll on my health. After I quit, I had no regret, and enjoy the present as much, with the writing and many friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Stephanie, people were genuinely nice in Belarus. Imagine one of the colonels found me on Facebook after ten years and we connected again. I sent him my book, TO LOVE A HERO. I don't know if he recognized himself in the hero. He was such a handsome officer.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Joan, thank you so much for inviting me to your blog. I'm glad people enjoyed my stories. I had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mona, I love hearing about your traveling adventures. What amazing experiences you have to draw on for your writing. I loved "To Love A Hero." Who knew vodka could be an all-purpose drink.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for sharing this post. I have read the article and noted the places you have written. You should have added Luray, Virginia in the list. It is very attractive places for tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the exotic locations in your books. It adds a fascinating element just reading about the cultural differences and the observations of your heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Steph, you had your share of traveling and know how to use it as a dramatic background for stories.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Honeymoon bed breakfast, never fear, I often go to VA where my daughter lives and will look for Luray, next time.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you, Nancy. Even my story is not set in a foreign country, my hero is always a foreigner, French or Russian or Puerto Rican, or an Egyptina god. Luc in NO MORE LIES, Yves in RIGHT NAME, WRONG MAN, and Francois in FRENCH PERIL are all French aristocrats, gallant, generous and excellent lovers. Take your pick.

    ReplyDelete