Flowering Shrub for Narrow Spaces

We actually had a rain today. I think that's the first one in almost 3 weeks. Yes, most of Texas is in a drought.

Three weeks ago is when I transplanted my Purple Showers (the flowering shrubs for narrow spaces that I have had in pots for nearly a year.

Then came the dry HOT weather. Even with sprinklers, growing things do better with Mother Nature's moisture.

When we sold our previous home, I potted some of the Purple Showers and moved them to my new yard. I can hardly believe they survived in pots through the heat of last summer and the freezing nights of this past winter.

Purple Showers is what we call them these tall flowering shrubs here in Houston. According to whichever website you visit, you'll find other names for them like Rose of Sharon or Paraplu Violet Hibisicus. (The Amazon link is embedded in case you can't find these wonderful shrubs in your area.)

In my previous home's yard, there was a narrow strip of dirt between patio pavers and a brick wall. This was outside my kitchen window. I searched for a couple of years before finding something that would grow in a bed only 15 inches wide and wouldn't be bushy. 

Purple Showers, aptly named because of their abundant blooms, were perfect for that 5 foot long growing bed. They grow up, not out, and they have pretty green foliage and beautiful blossoms. 

They've been in the ground for 3 weeks. I cut them down to about 6 inches when I transplanted them. They've grown a foot since then, and they've already started blooming.

Takeaway Truth 

If you have a similar narrow area of dirt you'd like to grow something beautiful, try these flowering shrubs. You'll love them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment