Guest Blogger: Freddie Talks About Toxic Plants

Hi, I'm Freddie. I had a terrible night a while back.

My dad was walking me, and I found these little hard pellets on the sidewalk. I wanted to eat them.

When I got home, I was feeling sick. I threw up.

My mom wanted to know if I'd eaten anything on the walk.

(I'm just a puppy, and I have a bad habit of eating things I find on my walk.)

My mom and dad went back to where I walked. They found a lot of seeds beneath a sago palm that was growing near the sidewalk.

Wow! They came home and put me in the car and started driving really fast. I whined, and I was feeling really sick then. They took me to the doggie ER. I did not like what that doctor did to me. They told Mom they were going to do the dog version of pumping my stomach.

I was so sick. We were there for hours, but they got those sago palm seeds out of me. I won't go into details because it was gross.

Pay Attention to What Dogs Become Fixated On

Freddie owns my daughter and her husband, but Darling Hubby and I babysit him frequently. I was shocked to discover the seeds from sago palms are so dangerous for dogs and cats. Those plants are in thousands of yards in the Houston area.


It's shocking how many of our common house and landscape plants are dangerous for our furry friends. Landscape plants like the sago which can kill a dog, elephant ear, amaryllis, asparagus fern, boxwood, calla lily, carnation, chrysanthemum, hydrangea, gardenia, portulaca, vinca, and parts of almost all of the stone fruit trees and the nut trees as well as oak trees.

That's not the list. That's just the growing things I have in both of my yards that are on the list. I won't even list the house plants that I now move out of reach of Freddie's inquisitive nose and mouth.

The SPCA list gives the more common names for the plants with the scientific name listed last.

4 Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe

1. When you and your animal companion are outside, keep an eye on what your furry pal decides to taste.

2. Always walk with a flashlight at night so you can focus light on your dog's mouth and see if he decides to taste something.

3. When you want to plant anything, check to see if it's toxic to pets.

4. Right now, take an inventory of what's growing inside and outside of your house. If you don't know for sure that it's non-toxic, check the list you may be surprised.

Takeaway Truth

Freddie said, "Having your stomach pumped is not fun. Plus, my mom and dad said it cost a lot of money. I'd like to say I'd never do that again, but I'm just a doggie. Ruff. Ruff."

No comments:

Post a Comment