Review: Another Life

What can I say about Another Life?

Let's start with another question.

If you're a writer, you know how you can put your heart and soul into a book, and it has all the elements of a great book?

But, sometimes all those wonderful elements just don't come together?

That's what I'll say about Another Life.

This Netflix orginal series has some of the most talented actors including some of my favorites like Katee Sackhoff and Selma Blair.

About Another Life

Astronaut Niko Breckenridge and her young crew face unimaginable danger as they go on a high-risk mission to explore the genesis of an alien artifact.

The story line is not original, but this wouldn't be a problem if the characterization was better. I rarely write bad reviews because I figure if I can't say something positive then it's best to not say anything at all. However, the characters in this series were so, well, stupid, that it really got to me.

We're told that the equivalent of "the best and the brightest" are sent on this space mission yet every single character is unable to manage his/her emotions, confront challenges intelligently, and solve problems. In fact, they all act more like spoiled children than adults out to save the world.

If Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and all of the other real astronauts had behaved the way this crew did, they'd never have reached the moon. In fact, they'd have killed each other before they left earth orbit.

The scientists left behind on Earth who attempt to figure out what the artifact is, where it came from, etc. are equally obtuse. They commit every cliché of bad judgment that's in far too many science fiction movies. They are the science fiction equivalent of the dumb teen girl that goes into the dark basement where the monster hides. Can you say Too Stupid To Live?

TSTL


That pretty much describes every single character! I was so disappointed. Katee Sackhoff is such a good actress. Why didn't they—whoever they are—respect her talent and give her a damned good script?

I gave up after the first episode. The only thing that interested me was about the artifact/space ship so I fast forwarded the last episode to see if it was anything fascinating. It was in effect the same as presented in many sci fi movies. No surprises.

I won't tell you what happened in case you find the series interesting and fascinating. I'm tired of sloppy writing in TV and movies that show color by number plots and cardboard cutout characters.

Takeaway Truth

I have to give this a thumbs down and hope Ms. Sackhoff and Ms. Blair get offered something more worthy of their talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment