It's not a comfortable, feel good movie, but one that will make you think. You may find yourself wondering if you communicate the way this mother and her son do. If so, you'll be doing some soul searching as to why that situation exists in your relationships.
I don't know that I can say I liked the movie, but I definitely liked the performances by the remarkable Allison Janney as Diane Patterson and Andrew Rannells as Jamie Simms.
Accompanying those 2 lead actors are Bonnie Hunt (love her!) as Judith Bibbs, Oscar Nunez as the Minister, Lisa Schurga as Nance, and Suzy Nakamura as Kathy.
Released in May of this year and screened at Sundance, the movie was picked up by HBO Max for distribtuion. If you have access to HBO Max, I definitely recommend this film which was directed by Jim Rash from a screenplay he wrote.
In case you're a film buff interested in the details, it was produced by Kevin Walsh, Nat Faxon, Gigi Pritzker, and Rachel Shane.WHAT'S IT ABOUT?A grieving widow is forced to plan her husband's funeral with her estranged son's assistant.
One sentence that is like the tip of an iceberg, hiding turbulent emotions and painful histories.
At first you'll hate Janney's character, but in the end, you'll understand her and Jamie (played by Runnells) and be comforted by the connection they make that is real and honest, unlike her relationship with her son who communicates by texting.
TAKEAWAY TRUTH
A beautifully acted, heartbreakingly painful movie about relationships gone wrong and the acceptance that can come from acknowledging the truth.



No comments:
Post a Comment