Saturday Share Recipe: Best Homemade Salad Dressing Ever

I've been experimenting with making salad dressings for the last year. I've shared some of the recipes I've come up with here.

I've finally created one that everyone in the family likes, and it comes out thick and luscious rather than separating too easily.

We've started having a large salad before each lunch and dinner, and the dressing makes it super delicious.

I made a large batch of it today and decided to share the recipe with you. The secret to it is a good balsamic vinegar.

I made it with fig balsamic vinegar, and it's out of this world! The recipe that follows makes almost a quart of dressing.

Ingredients

2/3 cup balsamic vinegar (I love the fig balsamic)

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoons honey (you could also use sugar)

1 teaspoon salt 

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 to 2 teaspoons finely minced Italian herbs

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional

Important Notes

(1) For the Italian herbs, I buy a local product, but it's very similar to the Dean Jacobs Italiano grinder shown here that is available from Amazon. This grinder is refillable which makes it super useful.

(2) For the balsamic vinegar, you don't have to use fig balsamic. It's my personal favorite. If you find balsamic vinegar isn't tart enough for you, use 3/4 cup balsamic and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar.

(3) If you don't want to make a large batch, just cut the ingredients in half.

Directions

In a quart jar, add all the ingredients. Place the lid tightly on the jar and shake vigorously. 

With the large batch I made, after shaking, I pour it into 3 smaller glass jars that have lids. Refrigerate the dressing.

Before using, set a jar out and allow it to come to room temperature before serving. Shake well.

However, if you're like me and always pressed for time, bring it to room temperature the quick way. Remove the lid, place the jar in your microwave, and nuke it for 10 to 15 seconds. Then shake and serve.

Takeaway Truth

This is a fabulous dressing that doesn't separate the way most homemade dressings do. Let me know if you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment