Review, Rambo: Last Blood

Okay, I've never seen a Rambo movie. Not even the first one. So it was a big deal for me to allow Darling Husband to talk me into watching this one on Netflix.

If you don't have Netflix, you can rent the movie on Amazon for $3.99 or purchase it for a surprisingly low fee of $7.99.

To my surprise, the movie was quite good. I say surprise because I thought Stallone's early movies seemed over the top characterizations in stories that seemed contrived.

Of course, writing is everything in a story. If the writing isn't good, then the story won't be good. Even good acting can't save an insubstantial bad story.

Having said all of that, I must say I was impressed by Stallone's acting in this. Yes, there was a ton of violence with a woman initially as the victim. I don't care much for stories like that because there's too much of it in real life.

Stallone's role as the father figure to his adopted niece is the emotional foundation on which the story is built. When she is kidnapped by a Mexican cartel and forced into prostitution—there have been too many movies with that premise lately—he sets out to rescue her.

The violence that follows in his desperate attempt to save her is believable in the fantasy world of action films. Stallone delivered a poignant, emotional performance and fully inhabited the character. I can only say, "Well done, Mr. Stallone."

About Rambo: Last Blood

The movie is a 2019 action film directed by Adrian Grunberg with the screenplay co-written by Matthew Cirulnick and Mr. Stallone from a story by Dan Gordon and Mr. Stallone.

If you're a longtime fan of this film franchise, you probably know that the character of John Rambo was created by David Morrell in his novel First Blood.

This latest Rambo film is the 5th installment in the franchise and co-stars Paz Vega, Sergio Peris-Mencheta, Adrianna Barraza, Yvette Monreal, Joquin Cosio, Oscar Jaenada, and Genie Kim.

Location filming took place in Bulgaria and Spain, and Brian Tyler created the musical score. The theaterical release was September 2010 and received mostly negative reviews aimed at the script, the violence, and the attitudes represented in the film toward Mexico.

Like I said that whole Mexican drug cartel kidnapping innocent women has run its course. The majority of the people in Mexico are decent, hardworking, and moral. Movie makers need to present a more balanced picture of the country and its people.

Apparently, the film made a modest profit so I assume Rambo fans were pleased with it. 

Takeaway Truth

I'll give this film a thumbs up, and based on his performance in the movie, I'd be happy to watch Mr. Stallone in another film where he could show his acting chops.

No comments:

Post a Comment