About Beaufort Wind Force Scale

Have you heard of the Beaufort Wind Force Scale?

I'm writing a new book, Foolishly Yours, for the Last Chance Beach Romance series.

There's going to be a storm on Last Chance Beach, but I haven't decided whether it will be a hurricane or just a big winter storm with lots of wind.

The story is set in late winter/early spring. Research answered my questions. Even though hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, hurricanes have occurred as early as January and as late as December.

Author Decision

The storm won't be a hurricane, but it will be a heck of a lot of wind. So how hard can the wind blow? Pretty darn hard according to the Beaufort Wind Force Scale which catalogs the wind based on its speed and the effects it produces at different velocities.

Created by British Navy Rear Admiral Sir Francis Beaufort in 1805 as a masurement of the effect of wind on waves—thus on sailing ships—the scale is still used today. Visit the National Weather Service to see detail about the Beaufort Wind Force Scale.

The scale starts at zero (0) and goes to 12. A zero is 0-1 mph (0-2 kph) wind which is described as calm. The observed effects are: smoke rises vertically; no wind.

A 12 is a Hurricane with winds 74+ mph (117 kph), and the observed effect is devastation.

What Wind for my Storm?

I haven't decided. I think it will be a 7, Moderate Gale, with whole trees swaying, about 32 - 38 mph (51 - 61 kph). I guess you'll have to read the book to learn. *LOL*

Takeaway Truth

I love research! I want the information in my novels to be correct, and I have the added benefit of being a formidable trivia contestant. I didn't know about the Beaufort Wind Force Scale before. Did you? Let me know if you're a sailing enthusiast and knew about it.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know about the Beaufort Wind Force Scale but have seen straight line winds do an incredible amount of damage. I imagine those would be truly scary in a sailing ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I wouldn't want to be on the water in any kind of strong wind.

      Delete