IMHO: Worst Thanksgiving Foods

Come on, be honest. What Thanksgiving food makes you shudder when you see the overloaded table?

Is it Granny Ruth's Candied Yams?

Maybe it's your dad's jellied cranberry gunk in a can.

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, deliciousness is in the taste buds of the eater. Your favorite dish may be another's culinary nightmare.

Worst Thanksgiving Foods Ever

This is my list, but most of these are listed on various websites so don't hate me. *LOL*

1. Candied Sweet Potatoes or Yams. You know those golden delicious goodies that can be baked, mashed, or made into fries? Why would you dump extra sugar on them when they're already sweet? Why cover with marshmallows? Save those for S'Mores.

2. Canned Jellied Cranberry Sauce. Open the can and slide it onto a relish dish, and it retains the impression of the can.

I make fresh cranberry-orange relish, but I always have to buy a can of Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce, the jelly type, for my Darling Hubby. For him, it's not Thanksgiving dinner without it. 

3. Green Bean Casserole. OMG. I remember the first time I ever saw this dish. Limp green beans swimming in cream of mushroom soup and topped with canned fried onion rings? To me, it looked like something to be thrown down the disposal. 

4. Stuffing from a box. With so many wonderful recipes online, why prepare a box of this stuff? Drop by the Food Network online or any place that offers great recipes. Make your own stuffing or dressing if you call it that.

5. Mashed Cauliflower disguised as Potatoes. Okay, let's be honest. No matter how you disguise it, there's no way cauliflower will ever be mistaken for potatoes. If you have guests, make your mashed cauliflower but also make some mashed potatoes for those who expect that. Btw, some people may have difficulty digesting cruciferous vegetables.

Takeaway Truth

Now I know millions of you love the foods on my list so be tolerant of my dislike, and I'll be tolerant of your love for these foods.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with each of those foods. I like GBC but developed a severe allergy to mushrooms of all things. The dish doesn't look appetizing, but tastes fine. I understand using cream of chicken soup works as well. This is our daughter Stephanie's potluck contribution. She said she can see people saying, "Oh, we'll need another green vegetable. Let's invite Stephanie." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister-in-law tells me everyone loves her GBC, and her sons demand 2 dishes of it on the Thanksgiving table. She also tells me I'm being silly. *LOL* I just can't get past the way it looks—like a plate full of, well, I won't say it because I don't want to offend those who do love it.

    ReplyDelete