4 Ways to Pack Away the Old Year

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay
Today is the second to last day of 2019. Many of you are focused on New Year's Eve parties, New Year's Day resolutions, and other things to do with new beginnings.

I believe it's good to take some time to think about the waning year and literally and figuratively pack it away.

5 Ways to Pack Away the Old Year

1. Get a storage box for the literal packing away.

This can be as simple and small as a shoe box, more official, like a cardboard file box, or something more decorative like this set of 3 gray fabric storage boxes which I prefer since I stack them on a shelf that's visible to all.

Whatever you choose for your 2019 memorabilia, get started by going through what you want to save.

Place the papers, cards, and photographs you want to keep in the box you've chosen.

For the figurative packing away, as you place each item in your storage box, celebrate the happy events and achievements of 2019. Remember the unhappy ones because you survived them and grew stronger. You probably learned something from them.

2. Record the highs and lows of the year.

We always think we'll remember what happened when. As the years pass though, you may find yourself unable to recall whether something important happened in 2018 or 2019 or some other year. I always pack away my day planner in my yearly storage box.

If you don't have a day planner or journal to pack away, write something even if it's just to jot down the dates of the important events of 2019.

3. Start the new year with a day planner for 2020.

For 2020, I had to change day planners again. I couldn't find the one I used last year anywhere so I shopped Amazon until I found one that met all my needs.

I'm using this 2020 Daily Planner for 2020. It's 5-3/4" x 8-1/4" and has Monthly Tabs, an Inner Pocket, has a strong elastic band and a pen loop. My day planner keeps me on track with my writing goals, appointments, and other obligations.

4. Plan now to keep a Journal in 2020.
Love This Cover!

"A life worth living is a life worth remembering." My mother kept journals. I have a box of her journals that helped me see her as a woman, not just as my mother.

This "Love, Your Notebook" by Eccolo Dayna Lee Collection is the journal for 2020 that I love! It's a gray 8" x 10" hardcover journal. What the cover says sold me on it!

Every day I will write at least 3 things that I'm grateful for plus remarks about the day's events whether they be mundane or significant.

A journal will work as a day planner too if you don't want to use a formal day planner. Even a notebook or spiral composition book will work. Just use something to mark the momentous events in your life. Write a sentence or two about each day. You'll enjoy looking back on your life.

Takeaway Truth

Pack away the old year, and let's get ready for a brand spanking New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Joan. And funny you should be writing about packing away the old year and starting fresh. I'm getting stuff out my old apartment and bringing some of it to the new place.
    I keep a journal but I didn't write much in it in the second half of 2019. I love your journal cover. More moving today but everything is packed and ready to go.
    Happy New Year! 🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, hello! Haven't heard from you in ages. How are you doing? Hope you're settled by now in your new place.

      Delete