Witticisms About Writing

I'm going to a birthday party today and plan to eat, drink, and be merry.

So I thought I'd share some merriment with you in the form of funny things authors say.

Enjoy!

I wrote a few children's books. Not on purpose. ~ Steven Wright

If Moses were alive today he’d come down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments and spend the next five years trying to get them published. ~ Anonymous

The road to hell is paved with adverbs. ~ Stephen King

Writing is so difficult that I often feel that writers, having had their hell on earth, will escape all punishment thereafter. ~ Jessamyn West

Unless a reviewer has the courage to give you unqualified praise, I say ignore the bastard. ~ John Steinbeck

Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamppost how it feels about dogs. ~ Christopher Hampton

Writing is a socially acceptable form of getting naked in public. ~ Paulo Coelho

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~ Robert Benchley

Easy reading is damn hard writing. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

A synonym is a word you use when you can’t spell the other one. ~ Baltasar Gracián

Takeaway Truth

What are your favorite funny quotes about writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment