I put the chicken in a big Dutch oven with enough water to cover it. I also add a couple of stalks of celery, a couple of carrots, a large onion, a little thyme, and salt and pepper to flavor the broth.
When the chicken is done, I shred the chicken and store it in freezer bags. I usually put the equivalent of 3-4 chicken breasts in each bag.
I freeze the broth in 1 cup amounts in smaller freezer bags. When I need to cook quickly, I just grab a bag of the frozen cooked chicken and a couple of cups of broth if needed, and I have the ingredients for a meal like the recipe below. This easy and delicious casserole serves 6 to 8.
Cheesy Chicken Oven Dinner
- 8 ounces cooked drained noodles of your choice
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canned water chestnuts, drained & rinsed, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 12 - 14 ounces of cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2 quart casserole or spray it with Pam or a similar product.
- In a saucepan, saute the celery and onion in the butter until tender and translucent.
- Stir in the sour cream, milk, chicken, mushrooms, peas, and noodles.
- Pour into 2-quart casserole and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Have a wonderful weekend!