Saturday Share: Cheesy Chicken Oven Dinner

One thing I do that helps me put dinner on the table quickly is to cook a bag--the whole bag--of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in advance.

I put the chicken in a big Dutch oven with enough water to cover it. I also add a couple of stalks of celery, a couple of carrots, a large onion, a little thyme, and salt and pepper to flavor the broth.

When the chicken is done, I shred the chicken and store it in freezer bags. I usually put the equivalent of 3-4 chicken breasts in each bag.

I freeze the broth in 1 cup amounts in smaller freezer bags. When I need to cook quickly, I just grab a bag of the frozen cooked chicken and a couple of cups of broth if needed, and I have the ingredients for a meal like the recipe below. This easy and delicious casserole serves 6 to 8.

Cheesy Chicken Oven Dinner

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces cooked drained noodles of your choice
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup canned water chestnuts, drained & rinsed, optional
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 12 - 14 ounces of cooked chicken
  • 1/2 cup canned sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Butter a 2 quart casserole or spray it with Pam or a similar product.
  • In a saucepan, saute the celery and onion in the butter until tender and translucent.
  • Stir in the sour cream, milk, chicken, mushrooms, peas, and noodles.
  • Pour into 2-quart casserole and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
  • Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Takeaway Truth

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Thanks for responding to my email. Your cooking idea seem to me interesting. I personally like cooked chicken in ovens. But I also believe that to cook a testy meat in oven first thing that you need is a best oven. so, you may see the best convection ovens in 2018 here https://kitchenproductreviewed.com/best-convection-ovens-review/
    only if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning! Thank you for sharing your Kitchen Product Reviews website with readers. Good luck with your site.

      Delete