Quick Fixes for Common Problems

I wanted to pass along some simple solutions for some annoying problems.

1. Ever get a song "stuck" in your head? I do, and it drives me crazy. I read that some smart people did a study about this phenomenon and came up with a solution.

Chewing gum. Yes, you heard me. Apparently the brain perceives the act of chewing gum as a form of silent speech. The action disrupts the mental pathway responsible for holding onto the song.

2. If you lack motivation and/or you're feeling unfocused, try eating a piece of dark chocolate (must be 60% cocoa). The antioxidant-rich chocolate activates your brain and increases your ability to pay attention.

3. Have new jeans that are so stiff they could stand up by themselves? Throw the denim into the dryer with 2 tennis balls and turn the dryer on low for about 30 minutes. The bouncing balls will break down the starch and fabric finishing chemical.

4. Trying the Keto or another low carb diet and in a lousy mood? This seems to affect women more than men. I know I've been trying to lose a few pounds this year. Going low carb works, but I get to the point where I'm angry, moody, and can't sleep at night.

My daughter who has become very knowledgeable about diet and nutrition suggested I add a half cup serving of a baked sweet potato at the evening meal. This helps the brain produce serotonin, the feel-good hormone we all need.

5. Finding time to exercise is a problem. I've always heard to do it in the morning. Ugh. I'm not a morning person. Scientists who study things like this had people exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week.

One group started at 7am, another at 1pm, and the last at 7pm. Guess what? The good effects of exercise were the same for all. In addition to overall good health, those who exercised fell asleep faster at night and reduced the times they woke during the night.

Takeaway Truth

I love simple solutions for common problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment