Meet Author Rayme Michaels

My guest today is author Rayme Michaels who has an interesting background that seems to be reflected in his writing.

After high school, Rayme studied Theater Arts Performance and Radio Broadcasting in college and then majored in Philosophy with a minor in Psychology. He went on to get a Master’s Degree in Comparative Philosophy.

Screw the Devil's Daiquiri is his first full-length novel, but it is his third book. He wrote 2 novellas, released in 2012. Of those 2, the first was "a quirky, bawdy, irreverent comedy entitled Incorrigibility" and the second was "a dark, gory, romantic vampire thriller called Red Love."

Find Rayme Michaels Online

Publisher Page: http://melange-books.com/authors/raymemichaels/screwthedevil.html
Lulu Spotlight: http://lulu.com/spotlight/Rayme
Blog: http://www.rayme-michaels.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rayme_Michaels
Pinerest: http://www.pinterest.com/raymemichaels/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rayme-Michaels/1654482248109702

Rayme Michaels Tackles the Dirty Dozen

1. In which genre do you write and why that particular genre?

Well, my first book and my newest one are both comedies, but my second one, Red Love, is a dark, gory, romantic vampire thriller. I used it as a way of expressing my dark, philosophical thoughts and perspective, while also showing off my iconoclastic side. I love pushing the envelope. As for the comedies, well, I’ve always enjoyed making people both laugh and think. I believe in fervidly doing away with unwarranted guilt and pettiness, replacing them with joy and the wonder of life. I have a Rabelaisian/Nietzschean mind and constitution. I always have. I can't help it, nor do I want to. Hence that's the kind of writer I am.

2. What's your most recent book and what's it about?

My new book is called Screw the Devil’s Daiquiri. Surreal, dark, urban comedy meets psychological drama. It’s about the post-traumatic, death-obsessed mind of a womanizer, who has lost touch with who or what he is. He doesn’t know where he’s going. In fact, he's a riddle to himself–a complete walking contradiction. He feels more and more empty as time goes on, and it takes a lot for him to realize the pitfalls of blindly living a completely self-absorbed life. Then there's his horrific past due to his alcoholic sociopathic father. Despite all that, this book remains a dark comedy–perfect for fans of one of my favorite shows ever, Californication.

3. As an author, what can readers expect when they read one of your books?

To be entertained and, at times, possibly even bothered–in a good, fun way, of course.

4. How did you "become" an author? For instance, was there a moment when you said: "I think I'll write a book."

My first book, Incorrigibility, was originally the third screenplay I had ever written, and in late 2011 I decided to turn it into a novella. I’ve always loved writing, but that’s when I realized for certain that I should be an author.

5. What's the best thing about being an author?

Creating my own unique world, filled with my own unique characters and writing the dialogue that comes out of their mouths. It’s like I’m the god of the world contained in each of my works, shaping everything to my liking, both in accordance with reality and the infinite possibilities of the surreal. I love both and love making them mesh together. I love expressing myself, and when I write my stories, it’s honestly the greatest of highs. I feel like I’m being transported into a parallel world, sometimes cracking myself up along the way.

6. What's the worst thing about being an author?

People asking me what I’m currently working on. It’s so annoying and pressure-inducing. Plus, I don’t like talking about a project until I’ve completed it.

7. Do you have editions of your books available other than ebook editions?

All my books are available in both eBook and paperback.

8. Do you listen to audio books? If so, what device do you use?

Never have, but I think I’ll give it a shot one day.

9. What device do you use to read ebooks?

I only read hard copies, but I once read an eBook in PDF form on either Adobe Reader or Nitro.

10. If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?

Never stop writing your fiction if that’s what you love to do. Don’t worry about whether a book of yours does or does not get signed [contracted] so much as being true to yourself and loving what you’re writing. If you’re always trying to please others rather than yourself, you’ll never be fulfilled by your work, and it will most likely come off as inauthentic, empty and lame. Write for yourself first and others second.

Once you’re done writing a book, don’t hesitate to get a professional’s opinion, but always remember: writing is not a cookie-cutter. It’s an infinite horizon of possibilities. Cultivate yourself through your writing, not the publishing industry. That’s the only way you’ll feel truly fulfilled, by producing something meaningful and genuine.

11. If you could tell readers one thing, what would it be?

Thanks for reading.

12. What is your big dream (or goal) as a writer?

To be able to make a living solely from my work as a writer, and to be remembered. I want my books to actually make a positive difference in people’s lives.

Buy Screw the Devil's Daiquiri

Melange Books

Lulu Books

Amazon Kindle Edition

Takeaway Truth

Thank you for an interesting interview, Rayme, and good luck with your books.

No comments:

Post a Comment