What's wrong with this picture

This morning when I was exercising, I had the TV on. Flipped channels a few times and settled on a design show on Fox. Think it was called Live Like a Star. The design segment segued into a makeover segment. A young woman wanted to be made over to look like Jessica Simpson because she idolized JS and so did her boyfriend who thought JS was the epitome of beauty I guess. Apparently, this is a daily part of this particular show. They colored her hair, changed her makeup, dressed her--all to be a mirror image of JS.

I found this disturbing. Why are some women so insecure in their own skins? Why isn't the way she looked--as herself--not enough for her or for her boyfriend in her opinion? There's nothing wrong with improving oneself via a new hair style, makeup, clothes, exercise program. Whatever. But why recast yourself as an imitation of someone else? And to do it for a man?!! Don't get me started.

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Yeah, I can quote Shakespeare with the best of them.

But the bottom line is, be honest. Be yourself. Be happy with who you are. If you can't accept yourself, then how can someone else accept you--the real you?

Another quote, the old Billy Joel song: don't go changing, trying to please me....I love you just the way you are. Those eight words, said with honesty, are about the most powerful, romantic thing a man can say to a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment