Cooking For 1-Armed Home Chefs

This post is for anyone who has the use of only one hand/arm so if you know someone like that, please share this post with them.

Life is full of challenges. When you're able-bodied—having the use of 2 arms and hands and 2 legs—you can tackle all kinds of things and be successful.

When you have lost the use of a hand and arm or a leg, then everyday life and tasks become as challenging as climbing a mountain.

As my older brother has aged, he's developed that kind of challenge. Basically, he has the use of only his left arm and hand.

Fixing a simple meal for himself is a big challenge. I want him to feel independent so I did some research to find kitchen tools and utensils that would help him accomplish the task of food preparation.

Yesterday when we talked, I was thrilled when he told me he had made chicken salad for lunch using the special cutting board, produce pealer, knife, and food chopper I'd sent him.

I know there are millions of people in the same situation as my brother whether from arthritis,  accidents, war injuries, strokes, or illnesses. I'm going to list what I sent my brother along with a photo of the item and a buy link that goes to Amazon.

If you know of other resources, leave a comment on this post.

Sammons Preston Hi-D Paring Board

Most people who have the use of only 1 hand find it impossible to cut vegetables, spread jelly on a piece of toast, or even cut a sandwich in half.

This cutting board makes all that much easier. It has suction cups that stick it to a countertop so it doesn't slide around.

The 2 upright prongs are to hold an  onion, potato, apple, or other fruit or vegetable onto it. You just push it onto the prongs, and it stays put while you peel it (using the next tool I'll show) and cut it up. The corner of the cutting board holds toast or a sandwich in place so it can be cut in half.

The price for this is $49.99 for this Sammons Preston Hi-D Paring Board. (I think I paid more when I ordered it. It's not Prime shipping, but shipping is free.)

OXO Good Grips Prep Y-Peeler

This peeler is good for anyone, but for someone with the use of only one hand, it makes peeling possible because it's easy to grip and maneuver. 

The "loop" thing at the end of the blade is for removing potato "eyes" and is for right or left-handed use. 

The blade is very sharp and it has a non-slip ergonomic handle. It's also dishwasher safe.

My brother told me he had shoved an apple on the cutting board prongs and used this to completely peel it.

The OXO Good Grips Prep Y-Peeler is only $9.95, and it is Prime shipping.

Amco Stainless Steel Mezzaluna with Silicone Handle, 1-Pack, Black

This curved knife is perfect for a one-handed grip. Rocking it back and forth, a cook can cut up just about anything for a steak to turning a potato into French fry cuts.

This is very sharp also. When used with a wooden bowl, salad greens can be cut easily.

This item has also been reduced in price since I bought it. The price is now $10.85.


This next knife goes by several names, and they're all listed in the description.

DMI Steak Knife, Rocker Knife, Curved Knife, Verti Grip Kitchen and Dinner Steak Knife

If you have limited hand strength, this super sharp knife is a great kitchen utensil that makes slicing and chopping easier.

Both this knife and the previous are really sharp so great care should be used not to get cut.

It has a Stainless Steel Blade, and it's Dishwasher Safe. The price is currently reduced to $16.07, which is quite a bargain considering what I paid. This item is also Prime shipping.

Meat Chopper, Premium Heat Resistant Masher and Smasher for Hamburger Meat, Ground Beef, Ground Turkey and More.

I have one of these, and it's the most useful kitchen utensil I've bought in recent years.

This is sturdy plastic—actually nylon according to the description—and it's perfect for cutting up cooked boneless chicken breasts, cooked pork for pullled pork sandwiches, or breaking up ground beef as it browns.

It's Non-Stick and dishwasher safe and is on sale for $7.99.

That's the gift box I put together for my brother, and I was thrilled that he's found all of it useful.

TAKEAWAY TRUTH

If you know someone who is challenged in the kitchen or in other aspects of daily life, research the many different items available to help someone according to the kind of assistance needed.

Joan Reeves participates in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising fees by linking to products (such as books) on Amazon.

JOAN ONLINE

Website * Blog * Amazon * BookBub * Facebook * Twitter * YouTube 



No comments:

Post a Comment