Confession: Writing Is Hard Work

GARDENING, WRITING, AND THINKING

Yesterday as I worked in the backyard on my garden, my mind was busy thinking about my 3 works-in-progress: Stone Angel, a Kindle Vella; Small Sins, also a Kindle Vella; and Good Girl Conspiracy, a contemporary romance.

I have to admit I was also thinking about a story I want to write as soon as I can get the above projects and a few others completed.

I don't have a title for it or any writing done—just a lot of ideas swimming around in my head.

A difficulty most authors confront is the desire to begin a new story before the others are finished.

It's hard to resist the siren call of a new story when ideas are dancing around in your brain.

WRITING IS HARD WORK

Writing is hard work. When one is immersed in the writing, it literally occupies you 24/7 and often follows you into your dreams.

Writing can be all-consuming. It's often difficult to separate the writing from the rest of your life so that you actually have a life.

WHY WRITE?

If writing books is so hard and so all-consuming, why do I—and so many others—do it? That's a good question. Some very famous authors are often quoted as saying that writers write fiction to understand themselves. 

I think that's probably true. It's not enough that many of us constantly explore our thoughts, memories, regrets, and experiences. We also take that and use it as filters for the story ideas we have.

Perhaps we authors write because we possess the DNA of generations of storytellers. That's as good an explanation as any. 

Each author has a worldview he or she puts forth in every book. Mine is expressed by what Michael Murpurgo said which is shown in the graphic above.

"Wherever my story takes me, however dark and difficult the theme, there is always hope and redemption, not because readers like happy endings, but because I am an optimist at heart."

CHOOSE OPTIMISM

Yes, at heart, I am an optimist because it's so much better than being a pessimist.

I don't believe anyone is born an optimist or a pessimist. One may be born with a basic personality blueprint, but personality is determined, I believe, by what happens as one grows from babyhood to adulthood.

Yes, it's the old "nature versus nurture" conundrum. If you didn't get the right kind of nurturing growing up, then you must learn how to nurture yourself. You can do it.

It's not too late to change. I believe as long as one breathes, change is possible through education, re-education, and self-nurture. Books can be a vehicle for change.

Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E. P. Seligman is a book you should read.

TAKEAWAY TRUTH

Yes, at heart I'm an optimist, but I also like happy endings.

Joan participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising fees by linking to products on Amazon.

DROP BY AND VISIT JOAN ONLINE

Website * Blog * Amazon * BookBub * Facebook * Twitter * YouTube 



No comments:

Post a Comment