From Seeds to Salad Bowl

Release day for Last Chance Beach: Summer's End was 2 days ago. 

If you bought that 14-romance short story collection, I thank you.

If you didn't, I hope you will. Just click the title above to buy from Amazon where it's only 99cents.

This boxset is a limited edition collection and will be removed in November after it completes it Kindle Unlimited run.

Also, if you didn't get the free companion book, Cocktails on Last Chance Beach, click the title now to grab a copy, and please tell your friends about our great little drink recipe book.

Onward and Upward

My attention is now directed toward writing my next book, Heat Kills, Book 3 of Outlaw Ridge, Texas. I continute the stories of the Galloway brothers and the family lakehouse on Outlaw Ridge. 

All writers incorporate bits and pieces of themselves in their books. In the case of Heat Kills, the romantic suspense I start today, the heroine is into the simplest kind of indoor gardening—sprouting seeds.

As you may remember, I'm into gardening of all kinds. No matter how small your space is, you can garden.

When I lived in Japan, bean sprouts were easily available at every market. They're delicious in salads and also stir-fried with onion and other veggies. When I returned to the states, bean sprouts weren't found anywhere! (This was many years ago.)

I learned how to sprout seeds and beans then. Actually, it's really easy.

Equipment Needed

  • a measuring cup
  • a 1-quart wide mouth jar
  • cheesecloth or nylon netting
  • seeds such as mung beans, lentils, barley, alfalfa, pumpkin, rye, or wheat
  • water
I'd say try sprouting first. If you like the results, invest in a couple of sprouting lids instead of using cheesecloth or netting. They're relatively inexpensive and last a long time. You can find them online at many places.

These reusable Sprouting Lids fit wide-mouth Mason jars, and I found them at Amazon.

What Kind of Seeds

You're probably wondering what kind of seeds you can use. If a seed or a bean is sold as edible, it can be sprouted. If you don't believe me, try it with a few dried beans. They'll sprout.

You can buy seeds and beans especially for sprouting, but, like I said, most seeds work. There's one thing to avoid though. 

NEVER
use seeds intended for planting in soil because they've been treated with chemicals that are poisonous.

Where to Buy Sprouting Seeds

You can buy seeds at organic groceries, some health food stores, or online. Amazon has an excellent selection of sprouting seeds.

I prefer the Non-GMO, organic seeds, and I like a mixture of seeds like the ones in the package shown at left. A mixture gives a nice depth of flavor.

How To Sprout Seeds

  1. Wash and pick over 1/4 cup of seeds or beans. Discard damaged or imperfect ones.
  2. Put the seeds of beans in the jar and add 2 cups of warm water.
  3. Fasten a double layer of cheesecloth or net over the mouth of the jar with a rubber band.
  4. Soak the seeds or beans for 8-12 hours.
  5. Pour the water out and refill the jar with the same amount of warm water. (Btw, you don't have to remove the net from the mouth of the jar. Just drain with it in place and refill with it in place.)
  6. Place the jar on a pantry shelf or other dark spot at a temperature between 70 to 80 degrees F. (Sprouts grown in the dark will be whitish. If you want sprouts that are gree, put the jar in the light for the last couple of days of growing.)
  7. Rinse with warm water twice a day until the spouts are as large as you wish.
  8. In 2 to 3 days, wheat, barley, and rye seeds will be ready to harvest. Munb beans, pumpkin, and lentils take 4 to 5 days. Soybeans take 5 to 6 days. Alfalfa takes 6 to 7 days.
Takeaway Truth

I find with sprouts, I always have an easy vegetable at meal time whether I toss a handul in a salad or do a stir fry with hearty greens, onion, red bell pepper, and a dash of soy sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I love growing beansprouts. They are crunchy and delicious! I usually sprout mung beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radish ones are really good in salads. They add a little bite.

      Delete