Saturday Recipe Share: Whole Wheat Biscuits

When I was growing up, my mother made biscuits every morning for breakfast and cornbread every evening for supper.

Both of those breads were mouth-watering delicious.

I make cornbread when it goes with the food I'm serving, but I make biscuits only once every few months. They're a weekend or holiday treat for the family.

The biscuits my mom made were the best I've ever eaten. Those are the ones the family prefers, but sometimes I make a healthier version of the melt-in-your-mouth white flour and fat biscuits of my youth. My Mom sent me this recipe too.

So that's what I'm sharing with you today...

Whole Wheat Biscuits

(1) Turn on the oven and set at 400 degrees.

(2) Prepare a baking dish by spraying with Pam or a similar product.

(3) Mix these ingredients thoroughly.

1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 heaping tablespoons whole wheat flour

A note about the 6 heaping tablespoons of flour.

My Mom rarely measured anything. This is about 3/4 cup.

After adding the liquids, if this is too "wet," sprinkle in a little more flour. Keep in mind that you'll be sprinkling flour over the cutting board and the dough. If the resulting dough is too dry, add just a tiny bit more buttermilk.

(4) With the ingredients above, make a “well” in the center and pour in these ingredients:

3 tablespoons cooking oil (I use sunflower oil, but any light cooking oil will do.)
3/4 cup buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, use regular milk but add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to it. Let it set for a couple of minutes for it to clabber.)

Mix well.

(5) Sprinkle a clean cutting board or a sheet of wax paper lightly with a bit of flour. Dump the soft dough mixture out on it. Sprinkle a little flour lightly on top of the dough then knead the dough only about 8 or 10 times. Sprinkle lightly with extra flour to keep the dough from sticking, but don’t use too much.

(6) Pat the dough out about ½ inch thick, cut with a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour so the dough won’t stick to the rim. Place in prepared baking dish.

(7) Bake about 15-18 minutes. Serve hot with a bit of butter and jam or jelly. My sister-in-law's homemade plum jelly is what we're eating today.

Takeaway Truth

Everyone finds delight in food enjoyed in childhood. Thanks, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment