Gonna Need A Bigger Boat

In the original Jaws movie, Roy Scheider voiced the famous line: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."


Well, here in the Houston area, we're all gonna need bigger boats.

Right now, I'd settle for a pair of bigger boots. I have some rubber boots that come up to mid-calf. I wear these when I walk in the rain or mud.

See the photo at left? That oak tree is on Duck Island, a small island in our lake. The bottom of the wood bridge to the island is under water, and the tree has only a small ring of grass between it and the water now. 

This morning I ventured out, and the water in the street came over the top of my boots. So I went back in, put my sneakers on, and waded in them.

I went out in my little community to make sure all the street drains were working properly. We have huge tall pines and massive oaks in here so there's always pine straw and fallen leaves that tend to clog drains. Everyone monitors the drains to make sure they're free flowing.

The drains were working to capacity. Water flowing down the streets to the drains were like gully washers. It's like I posted yesterday, it only takes 6 inches of fast-moving flood water to knock over an adult.

The lake that's the centerpiece of our community is full to capacity. There's a large drain that keeps it constant level, but the rain is falling faster than the water can drain. I fear the clubhouse and some of the homes around the lakes may take on water.

The tornado warnings started in the early morning and continue. All in all, this is going to be another really LONG day.

So far, we're all good in here, but the surrounding areas have streets under water and creeping up driveways. Several of the subdivisions in this part of Harris County have waist-high water.

Oops. Got to go. Tornado warning for my specific area. Taking cover now.

Takeaway Truth

As people are posting on my NextDoor community, pray for Texas.

1 comment: