Review: Simply Irresistible by Rachel Gibson

I spent most of the second half of December with one of the worst sinus infections I've ever had. That meant a lot of down time feeling too ill to do much of anything except watch TV or read. My choice -- always -- is to read, as long as I have the energy to hold a book or my Kindle.

When I feel lousy, I often want a comfort read. That usually means reading a book from my keeper shelf. Many of these books are older books. When I decide to re-read one of these, I always check the Kindle store to see if the ebook edition is reasonably priced. If it is, I buy it for my Kindle because I find that reading on my Kindle is much more convenient.

I was happy to see that Simply Irresistible (Book 1, Chinooks Hockey Team) was priced low. In fact, today, as I write this, the book is only $.89.

This book is simply delightful in so many ways. From the beginning, if you're a thinking woman, you may not like the heroine very much. On the surface, she seems to be vacuous -- as close to an Anna Nicole-type as a woman could possibly be. In other words, she's not the kind of woman most of us would want for a friend.

That's on the surface, and, as we all know, what's under the surface is what makes for an interesting story either in true life or fiction. What's beneath the surface of heroine Georgeanne Howard and hockey superstar John Kowalsky is what makes this romance a cut above the ordinary.

Ten years ago when they meet, Georgeanne is a woman looking for someone to take care of her because she can't take care of herself. That's what she's always been told so it must be true. Right?

Ten years ago John Kowalsky is the bad boy of hockey who drinks too much and sleeps around too much. To him, Georgeanne is just the latest in a long line of easy lays.

The night they meet changes Georgeanne's life. When she and Kowalsky meet again, they're each different, but one thing that hasn't changed is the instant attraction they hold for each other. But, Georgeanne has a secret that trumps mere desire, and she's desperate to keep that secret from John.

This novel is full of character growth, emotional angst, humor, and hot desire. I enjoyed the re-read so much that I also bought the other ebooks in the Chinook Hockey series for my Kindle and read them too while I was sick.

By The Way

As is my custom when I review ebooks, I give the Kindle Buy Links or the Audible Buy Links since I read most books on my Kindle or listen to them on my iPod or iPhone after purchasing from Audible. However, I'm certain every book I review is available at most ebook sellers, and audio books are also on iTunes so look for them on the platforms that match your ebook reading or your buying preference. (Click here to shop for your very own Kindle.)

Takeaway Truth

Re-reading a book is like visiting an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment