Leisure

Oliver Wendell Homes Jr. said: "Leisure only means a chance to do other jobs that demand attention."

Oh my goodness! Was that true way back then also? I mean the life of the Honorable Mr. Holmes spanned the 19th and 20th centuries. Was leisure time already a defunct concept then?

I know it seems to be extinct as the dodo bird now because I never seem to stop working. Even on the weekend when I'm not working on a manuscript, I'm sneaking away to blog or email or learn some new tech concept or something.

I'm thinking about declaring a No Work zone at least on Sunday afternoons. For me, No Work would mean no Internet. No computer. No texts. No anything but pursuing something unrelated to writing. Wonder if I could actually abide by such a ban?

Takeaway Truth

There's too much crammed into most of our lives. Perhaps it's time to make leisure, at least a few hours of it, a priority each week so we can recharge our creative energies.

No comments:

Post a Comment