May Pole Memories

Image by GoemedienPixabay
May 1, also known as May Day and celebrated in most of europe as the arrival of spring, always makes me smile.

When I was in 7th grade, someone at my elementary school decided getting a bunch of us girls to "dance" around a May Pole in a spring festival.

Two of my friends and I were "volunteered" for this event. Unlike a European May Day festival, there was no tree decorated with ribbons around which we were to dance.

One of the teachers stuck a white-painted, tall pole in the middle of the playground and attached long pink ribbon streamers to it.

Our moms were commissioned to make pink dresses with pink tulle overskirts for us. 

Instead of enjoying recess each day for the weeks leading up to May 1, we had to practice going around the May Pole, weaving in and out in a serpentine manner, which was supposed to braid the ribbon streamers on the pole. We all thought it was ridiculous, but we didn't have any say in the matter.

On the big day, we did as we'd rehearsed, but a few girls didn't weave in and out. Instead of braided streamers, the May Pole ended up looking like someone had wadded a tangle of ribbons around the pole. By the time we finished our May Pole dance, we were giggling so much we could hardly stand up.

TAKEAWAY TRUTH

I'm pretty sure a May Pole event in a European country is vastly different than the one my friends and I remember. 😂 😂 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment