Rain

Yesterday, it rained. Glorious wet drops falling from the sky. Rain--long absent from most of Texas.

We all had to restrain ourselves to keep from running out and basking in the cool precipitation. I think this is the driest year our state has had in 116 years.

Today, we lunched at Olive Garden. The sky darkened. We looked out the windows at the lead-lined clouds racing to chase away the sun and held our breaths. A raindrop hit the window. Then another. Soon it was raining, and we were all smiling. Although the shower lasted only a few minutes, it gave us hope of more to come.

Now I'm at home and gazing through the windows in my study. The sky is completely overcast, and the temperature hovers in the low 80's. How utterly delightful after weeks of triple-digit temperatures and a blazing sun.

The great Langston Hughes wrote: "Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby."

Takeaway Truth

I'd love for the rain to sing me a lullaby. In fact, I'm going to go crash on the couch and give it a chance to start singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment