The Flu

We had a New Year's visitor who was thoroughly unwanted: the flu.

My DH came down with it on Wednesday. By Friday, I had him at the doctor who prescribed Tamiflu to try to shortcut the malady.

I crawled to the computer tonight to put fingers to keyboard and say something profound about the joys of nursing others with the flu. Uh, I got nothing.

Samuel Butler in The Way of the Flesh, 1903, wrote: "I reckon being ill as one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work till one is better."

Unfortunately, I've never been able to shirk work because of illness, whether it was my illness or another's. Instead, I keep on plugging along, waiting on the sick until they are well and back in the thick of things. That's when I succumb to what they had.

Takeaway Truth

Note to family: Get well soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment