Joy of the Expected

Quote for the Week

"Talk about the joys of the unexpected, can they compare with the joys of the expected, of finding everything delightfully and completely what you knew it was going to be?" Elizabeth Bibesco, Balloons, 1922.

I've exited the winter of my discontent. Thank goodness! I can only stand so much of being frustrated and annoyed with life. After unloading my feelings in my blog post, my usual attitude of optimism resurfaced. With it came an expectation of the positive outcome I wanted.

I just told myself that the phone repair man would be out sooner rather than later on Saturday, in plenty of time to do the needed repairs. Guess what? It happened just that way. A very nice gentleman from AT&T showed up prior to dark, assessed the situation, and installed a new phone cable - to be buried by another crew in two weeks.

I've found that you usually get what you expect out of life. That's why I try to expect the best. I don't mind if I'm surprised because the worst shows up because I can live happily in the interim rather than ranting and railing at the fates over this, that, or the other.

Takeaway Truth

There's a great deal of truth in the idea that your thoughts determine your destiny. If we could all get into the habit of expecting life to dump miracles upon us, perhaps we'd all experience more miraculous lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment