Thursday3Some: Rules of the Game by Elaine Raco Chase

Today on Thursday3Some, I have contemporary romance novelist Elaine Raco Chase answering 3 questions about her romantic comedy, Rules of the Game. You can find Elaine on Facebook and Twitter: @ElaineRaco.

When did you write Rules of the Game?

The original Rules of the Game was written in 1978 -- published by Dell for their Candlelight Romance line in 1980 -- and, shut the front door, hit really big for them which made them offer me, a 4-book contract.

After getting my rights back, I updated the book, enhanced the characters and the story line by over 15,000 'new words' (LOL) for the ebook. I added in (the hero) Adam's two tours of duty in Fallujah as a marine plus the Wounded Warrior Project, that I proudly support. The ebook hit equally big: #1 Amazon bestseller for contemporary romance & romantic comedy as well as winning #1 Erotic Romance by the readers of Turning Pages Magazine for 2012.

What was the spark that gave you the story idea?

I created a sharp, sassy heroine who was not looking for a man to complete her life. She had a great career, was taking more classes in the area of consumer law, and was busy succeeding in life in general. That was not the norm in 1978 when all the romance heroines needed help crossing the street. Today, I love the fact that women in books and those who read them are strong, sexy, and not afraid to be themselves -- whether 'they' are in fashion or not!

Why do readers buy it?

Then -- because it was different and set in the US versus Britain or Australia (did I mention the only romance read in 1980 was Harlequin). Today -- well according to the reviews:
  • "Wow! Just absolutely Wow!"
  • "The bantering between Adam & Samantha is hysterical."
  • "Steamy and more than a few chuckles. Far, far better than many e-books I've read."
  • "well written, funny, and sexy..I am now a fan for life."
  • "You will love this book & the ending!"
Buy Rules of the Game

All Romance Ebooks

Amazon Kindle

iTunes Books

Audio Edition from Audible

Takeaway Truth

The weekend is approaching. Kick back and relax with a good book.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the highlight Joan...as always your blogspot is filled with interesting information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, Elaine. I'm happy to give you a forum to allow readers to discover your books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice way to highlight a book and for readers to find new authors. Great idea Joan! Elaine, your book sounds ageless with the strong heroine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paty...thanks so much! Guess what YOU win a copy of Rules..so please let me or Joan know Kindle, Nook or something else! Elaine

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Paty. I thought it was a win-win for all concerned. Be sure and sign up to be on Thursday3Some too.

      Delete
  4. I'm late to arrive, but as a date once said: "Better late than never." I enjoyed reading this post. I agree with Paty, good books are ageless. We tend to be a throw away society and it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqueline...thanks for the comment and YOU win a copy of Rules of the Game...Elaine

      Delete
  5. I'm glad I saved this to replay to later. I enjoyed the post. I feel a lot guilty. While clearing the house and garage, I discovered two boxes of books (all mine) that were put in the garage when we moved to CA in 1980. Sadly, I had to donate them for lack of space but hope someone else will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete