Farewell, Old Tree

American poet Ogden Nash, known for his often-amusing verses put his own spin on Joyce Kilmer's poem "Trees."

Kilmer's poem states, "I think that I shall never see / a poem lovely as a tree."

Ogden changed poem to "billboard" so that his verse read: "I think that I shall never see, a billboard lovely as a tree."

Why am I writing about trees? Because the old twisted tree on the golf course here was cut down since the last time we were here.

I found the old gnarled tree with all its twisted branches to be beautiful. True, the only thing that remained of its once green grandeur was the trunk, but it was still beautiful.

Takeaway Truth

A Chinese Proverb says: "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now." Next week, I'm planting a Meyer Lemon Tree in the courtyard of my new townhouse, and a live oak tree here at our weekend home.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete