Review: Suits on Netflix

I'm probably the last person on the planet to watch the TV series Suits, an American legal drama that premiered on the USA Network in 2011.

As I told you before, I spent the summer sick and mostly watching TV shows and movies on our big flat screen.

My Blurb

I sampled a little of everything including TV series that have made their way onto streaming services. One of these was Suits, an engaging train-wreck of a legal series with charismatic characters who make one bad decision after another and with each leading to complications and other bad decisions.

 The Official Blurb

Set at a fictional New York City law firm, Suits follows Mike Ross (played by Patrick J. Adams), who uses his photographic memory to talk his way into a job as an associate working for successful "closer" attorney Harvey Specter (compellingly portrayed by Gabriel Macht).

But Mike is a college dropout who never attended law school. (He did pass the LSAT multiple times as an illegal proxy, and that's the backstory and conflict playing throughout the series).

Suits focuses on Harvey and Mike who win lawsuits and close cases—always struggling to keep Mike's secret. 

The other characters who populate the firm are Jessica Pearson, the firm's managing partner (the fabulous Gina Torres), manipulative Louis Litt (the always good Rick Hoffman), and the awesome Donna Paulsen, Harvey's legal secretary and confidante (awesome Sarah Rafferty).

Meghan Markle (yes, now Duchess of Sussex) is Rachel Zane, an ambitious, skilled paralegal, and Ross's love interest.

This series which ran from its 2011 debut through September 2019, has great writing which produced the drama, humor, and compelling stories that make for great television.

Writers

Suits was created by Aaron Korsh who wrote the first episode and another couple of dozen too. There are dozens of writers in various classifications for this show that ran 134 episodes.  I'd like to mention them all, but that would make a really long post. 

My 2 Cents

I love this show, but I did get tired of the constant arguments between characters as well as their inability to rise above their respective emotional baggages and "grow" as characters.

Yet, once I tune in to an episode, I can't not watch another episode and another so be warned that it's a time suck if you have other things you should be doing.

I'll confess my favorite character is Donna who sees all, hears all, and knows all. Ms. Rafferty made her character completely memorable.

Takeaway Truth

Suits broke streaming records for a TV series. I watched it on Netflix, but they currently don't have the 9th and final season. Suits also streams on Peacock so I'll check there for season 9.

VISIT JOAN ONLINE

Website  * Amazon  *  BookBub  *  Facebook  *  Twitter  *  YouTube 




No comments:

Post a Comment