Celebrate National Library Week

I've had a lifelong love affair with books, enabled when I was very young by the public library.

National Library Week is from April 4 - 10 this year, and I urge you to visit your local library. Get a library card if you don't already have one.

With the changing times, libraries have evolved to more than a place with print books. Most libraries offer ebooks for checkout now, and that number will increase in the coming years.

Not only can you check out print books and ebooks, but also audio books and videos too.

When I was 14, I made the goal one summer to read every book in the library in alphabetical order by the author's last name.

Ah, so many books so little time. Even in our minuscule public library, I didn't even get through the A's before school started again. I treasure those summer nights when the attic fan drew cool air in through the open windows, and I read by the lamp clipped to the headboard of my bed. It was the best part of summer to me.

Oh, in case you're wondering, yes, we slept with all the windows open. The car keys were left in the ignition of the car in the driveway, and the house was never locked. Our small southern town was typical of most towns back then. 

Takeaway Truth

 Most of your favorite writers have their books available in your public library system. Many of mine are because Smashwords and Draft2Digital distribute to the library system. Ask your local library how to check out an ebook. The librarians will be happy to help you make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment