Trying New Computer Keyboard

My output today is minimal because I'm trying a new keyboard.

Actually, it's an old keyboard—old as in I bought it a few years ago, tried it, and gave up.

This is an Adesso PCK-308UB - Tru-Form Pro Ergonomic Contour TouchPad USB Keyboard Black with Hotkeys.

As you can see by the picture, it's ergonomically designed, with a split-wave key layout. Another thing I like about it is that it's got a great touch.

I spent years of my life typing on typewriters (Yes, back in the day of Conestoga wagons, right?), and this keyboard has a great touch to the keys that's reminiscent of typing on a typewriter.

Why Did I Give Up On It

If it's so great, and exactly what I wanted, why did I give up on it? Expediency. I was in the midst of writing a book with a tight deadline when the keyboard arrived.

There's a learning curve involved just because of using the mouse touch pad. It slowed me down when it came to highlighting text, cutting and pasting, and the fine mousing skills needed when manipulating images. I just didn't have the time to learn it.

Now that I've got a ton of books to write in the next few months, I'm spending a huge amount of time in front of the computer which translates to increased muscle spasms caused by reaching for that mouse.

So I decided to try it again. I'll be slower for a while, but I can certainly type faster with these keys. I love the fast typing where your fingers literally dance over the keyboard. The spacing of the keys is just perfect. The faster speed should make up for the slight slowdown in using the mouse pad until I'm used to it.

Takeaway Truth

There's a learning curve to everything so I'll just follow my own advice in such matters. "Suck it up, buttercup, and get on with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment