Relax and Unwind

Thich Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk, teacher, poet, and peace activist who has published more than 100 books, 40 of which are in English, said: "It's very important that we re-learn the art of resting and relaxing. Not only does it help prevent the onset of many illnesses that develop through chronic tension and worrying; it allows us to clear our minds, focus, and find creative solutions to problems."

What sensible advice. I decided to take that advice today because I--and darling hubby too--have worked hard for several weeks now.

Backstory

First there was the townhouse remodeling and all it entailed. Then the moving, unpacking, arranging, setting up our offices, writing goals and business plans for the new year. My goodness, hubby and I have worked as if the fate of the planet depended on our efforts.

Back To Day Job

With all that done, we settled in to work. Hubby received a new out of town business project, and I started reviewing where I was on various writing projects. I'd been reading emails from too many authors that told of their discouragement because of declining book sales, inability to focus on a new manuscript, economic problems, etc. so I decided to finish the little book of encouragement that I had written.

I know how hard it is to keep going with little validation so my Little Book of Sunshine: For Readers and Writers was a project close to my heart. Why readers and writers? Because writers aren't the only ones who struggle with rejection, discouragement, and goal achievement. Everyone on the planet does.

So I finished that manuscript, sent it out for proofing, and with only a few detours for working with the landscaper on tearing out the old yard at the townhouse and putting in a new one, I published my little volume of encouragement and inspiration.

Now, Little Book of Sunshine: For Readers and Writers is published and available at most ebook sellers.

With that project mostly out of the way, it was time to relax. Today, hubby and I are doing nothing but reading and watching TV. Okay, I am on the laptop writing this, and, yes, that does go against my Weekend Disconnect policy. However, my blogging is usually fun for me, and fun is always allowed.

Weekend Disconnect

Last year I made the conscious decision to disconnect on the weekend. I was surprised by how difficult it was to follow through on that. No texts, calls, emails, Tweets, FB posts or other social networks, and no sitting at the computer hours on end.

I wanted to do this to focus in on the real world around me--family, friends, and my community. That real world connection is easy to lose in this wired in world. I also wanted to start participating in some of the activities I once enjoyed that I no longer could fit into my life--arts and crafts, gardening, and more reading.


Takeaway Truth

Tired? Stressed? Need to recharge? Like Lily Tomlin once said: "For fast-acting relief, try slowing down." At least on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment