There are lots of uses for lemons other than for food.
7 Things You Can Do With Lemon
1. Wash a cutting board first then sanitize it by squeezing half a lemon over it. Rub the juice in and let it set for 20 minutes. Then rinse with water. Better than using bleach.
2.Use to polish copper cookware. Sprinkle a lemon wedge with salt and polish away.
3. Use to brighten white clothes in the laundry by adding 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the wash load.
4. Save lemon peels because the oil in the rind is a natural bug repellent. Place strips of rind outside on window sills and near weep holes. Sprinkle in flower beds.
5. Mix together 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil to have an inexpensive polish for leather or wooden furniture.
6. Make your own produce "disinfectant" to remove sprays from fruits and vegetables. In a clean reusable spray bottle, mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar and 1 cup of water. Shake well. Spray liberally on the fruit or vegetables.
7. I'm trying to go organic in gardening. I'll be replacing Round Up with lemon juice which is supposed to be an ultra-effective weed killer. You place it in a spray bottle and soak the unwanted plants with the stuff to kill them. Better lemon juice soak into the ground than glyphosate.
My mom used to use natural cleansers she made from white vinegar and such. I do believe organic can be just as good as chemicals. You just have to find the right formula.