I've made 36 videos, and I've learned a few things along the way.
Video Book Trailer Tips
1. Timing is everything.
Do your best to keep the video as short as possible because attention spans seem to get shorter as time goes on.
My first video was over 2 minutes long, and that was just for 1 book. My last 2 videos were 60 seconds, and both videos were for book collections. One contained 26 books, and the other was for a 7 book collection.
|Watch the Video for SWEET and SASSY SUSPENSE|
What's the essence of your story? Distill it.
3. Think like a movie writer/director.
That means think visually, not so much with words but with images and sparse text or dialogue.
4. Like a good book, a video trailer should hook you immediately.
Use whatever works for the story. (1) an evocative image or video clip of a character or characters or of a scene (2) a soundbite snippet (remember Dirty Harry movies? "Go ahead--make my day.") or a tagline or (3) evocative mood music that captures the essence of the story.
|Watch the Video for LOVE, CHRISTMAS 2|
As in #4, use whatever works to keep it interesting and moving along.
6. Like a good book, have an epic ending.
The ending will stay with viewers and make them think back to the beginning. Hopefully. At least, that's your goal.
7. Coordinate all the elements in your video.
Plan your design from the images, video clips, fonts, text, and music to coordinate much as you would put together clothing and accessories.
I'm giving away prizes this month. To be entered in the random drawing Giveaway for a chance to win one of the Writing Journals shown here, answer this question in Comments.
How many video book trailers have you watched?
(1) Leave your answer along with your email address written out, NOT as a hot link, in Comments to be entered in a random draw for one of the writing journals shown at left.
(2) Winners will be chosen by random draw from all those who leave comments on my blog posts. Increase your chances by leaving a comment in answer to the posted question on any of the blog posts I publish this month.
(4) Drawings will be held on Black Friday, November 23.
(5) Winners will be contacted by email no later than Nov. 28.
I blogged at Gems In the Attic today also. Just click to visit Gems In the Attic, answer the question I posed in that post, and leave your answer in Comments.
I'll be blogging here at SlingWords every day this month so leave a comment on any post in answer to the question I pose each day.
You'll also find me at these blogs:
AuthorsBillboard on Nov. 6
Smart Girls Read Romance on Nov. 16.
Enjoy the videos!
Amazon Author Page * BookBub Author Page * Facebook Fan Page * Twitter * YouTube * Joan's Website.
Be the first to know about New Books and Giveaways, sign up for Joan's Mailing List.