If you're like me, you've got a bunch of old flash drives in your desk's pencil drawer. I read about how you can re-purpose an old flash drive and make it a laptop alarm.
How To Secure Laptop With Flash Drive
1. Visit LAlarm.com. Read their info. Below the Download button, the next paragraph reads:
"Prevent laptop theft. Laptop theft is common and a constant threat to laptop security. LAlarm emits a loud siren sound when a thief tries to steal a laptop. For example, you connect a laptop to a power outlet or fasten a laptop to a table by using a USB flash drive strap. An alarm will be triggered when the laptop is disconnected from the power outlet or removed from the table. LAlarm also warns the owner if the laptop is left unattended in an unsafe place for a period of time."
2. In that paragraph, you'll see a link that takes you to the page where using a flash drive is explained.
3. After you read the info, you can install the free software on your laptop.
4. Then secure a neck strap to your USB flash drive and fasten the other end of the strap to a table or other solid piece.
5. Plug in the flash drive to a USB port on your laptop and lock it by pressing the Windows logo key and the L key together.
6. If someone removes the laptop, the flash drive will be pulled out and a loud siren will sound. At the same time the alarm sounds, the software will send an alert to your mobile phone.
Another option you can program with this free software is to have the data on the laptop self-destruct if it's stolen. There's a video on the website that demos this. Just make sure you really want this to happen though.
Security with laptops is a concern because so many are lost or stolen. Make use of the excellent online free tools available to you.