Looks like Hurricane Gustav is going to come visiting Labor Day weekend. We'd planned a trip to the lake, but I guess I'll call in a minute and cancel those plans.
I hate these late season storms, but what I really hate is how everyone who isn't used to hurricanes goes nuts when a warning is announced.
I've lived with them most of my life. Here's my preparation:
1. Avoid all the stores and gas stations if possible. If I have to fill up, do it late at night then don't go anywhere so I won't use up the gas.
2. Know all evacuation routes so I can be sure and not go near any of them.
3. Clean up all the loose stuff in the yard because I never do it until a storm threatens so it needs it.
4. If I don't already have plywood for boarding up, then just forget it and take comfort in the fact that all our multiple insurances are paid up.
5. Make sure I've got plenty of Snickers and Cracker Jacks because comfort food will make us all feel better if the worst happens.
On a more serious note, I've weathered many a storm and know exactly what to do. I always have storm supplies ready to go, and we have a 20 gallon gerry can for each family member for water not to mention that we fill 3 tubs of water for sanitary use.
If you don't know what to do, put hurricane preparation in the big G and learn.
Be prepared, and make sure your flood and homeowners insurance is paid up. And you know where the policies are.