To Thine Ownself Be True

Quote for the Week

This week's inspiration comes from one of my mother's favorite quotations. Shakespeare wrote:

This above all:
to thine own self be true,
And it must follow
as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false
to any man.


What does that mean? Does it mean that if you are honest with yourself then you will be honest with others? Integrity certainly means that.

Have A Vision

In a broader sense, I think it means being true to the larger vision we have of ourselves. By that I mean, we all have dreams or lofty goals. I know I have mine. Chances are you have certain visions of greatness for yourself whether you talk about it to others or just hold your dreams close to your heart.

Be Purpose Driven

Are you being true to those dreams by trying to fulfill them? Or do you just "dream" and do nothing to get what you want? Do you take that larger vision of what you can be, what your life can become, and apply action consistently in order to achieve it? If you do, then you are being true to thine own self because you are living with purpose.

Nothing is sadder than looking back at life and thinking: "I had a dream. If only I'd done something about it."

Takeaway Truth

Be true to your dreams. Be true to yourself. Don't make excuses - that's living falsely. Live with purpose, and you'll have lived well.

No comments:

Post a Comment