Review: The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart on HBO Max

Now streaming on MAX
One rainy afternoon this week, I had the pleasure of watching the documentary about the Brothers Gibb: Barry, Maurice, Robin, and even Andy.

First, a confession. I LOVED The Bee Gees from the first moment I heard their first song on the radio in the U. S.

Not to take anything away from the Beatles who came before them, but The Bee Gees soulful music did it for me. Their early recordings had that kind of R&B feel with great music, tight harmonies, and lyrics that were poetic, sometimes haunting, sometimes surprisingly literary, and always singable.

I've never been a fan girl who wanted to know every detail of a singer's life. I just wanted to immerse myself in the music.

I think this ignorance of a celebrity's personal life is one reason I enjoy a good "rockumentary" that unflinchingly explores an artist's struggles—personal and career.

AWESOME: My One-Word Review.

 I loved the insights into their music writing process and the background of what was going on in their lives when they wrote specific songs.

Written by Mark Monroe and directed by Frank Marshall, this poignant film was narrated by Barry Gibb, the surviving brother.

The film was released first in theaters in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand on December 3, 2020. Nine days later, in a deal with HBO Max, it was released worldwide and was nominated for six Emmy Awards.

We have this album—in vinyl.
TARGET AUDIENCE? LOVERS OF ANY MUSIC GENRE

With interviews with the Bee Gees, their music producers, record company executives, some of the women in their lives, guitarists, drummers, and pianists who made up their band, the film shines a spotlight on the musical genius each of the brothers possessed.

The interviews from other performers like Justin Timberlake and other musical authorities underscroe that fact.

All of that will give you an idea of why their music is still played and why people love it.

 You'll see just how popular they were prior to 1971 and how they became even more popular a few years later.

TAKEAWAY TRUTH

I highly recommend this documentary for the story behind the story, the fabulous music, and the time travel to the 1970s.


and receive exclusive content, bargains, freebies, and book talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment