Paperwork

I was gone for two weeks, and that was a big mistake because life did not stand still.

Although I got a lot of writing accomplished on my self-imposed writing retreat, I came home to a mess. No food in the house because the family does not realize that you can actually go into an establishment and trade currency for food.

Two weeks behind on every conceivable form of paperwork, bills to pay, receipts to file, problems to contend with, and all the other "stuff" (I'm thinking of another word that starts with S, but I'm being nice). I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Peter De Vries said: "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork." Oh, my gosh, but that's true. Where is this paperless world I hear about? It doesn't exist in my household.

Forget creating a paperless world. Let's create a world without bills to pay. Are you with me?

So much of life is filled with mundane tasks that must be accomplished in a timely fashion lest one falls behind and gets run over by the tax collectors, bill collectors, medical billing establishment, itinerant workers who plaster flyers on your front door, et al.

Takeaway Truth

I kind of feel like that scene in the old movie The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston where the slave falls in front of a monolithic stone block and gets crushed to death. In case you're wondering, I'm the slave.

No comments:

Post a Comment