Unpublished Manuscripts: 3 of 5

We're in the middle of our Special Report. I hope you are all enjoying it as much as I am.

Today, we welcome three other intrepid authors, Vicky Burkholder, Nancy Haddock, and Susan Lyons who will Sling Words and tackle the burning question: what do you do with manuscripts that didn't sell.

Vicky Burkholder is the author of Akashan'te from Cerridwen Press.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

(Yet - still trying on a couple.) 11

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

Both - having had a hard drive crash, I always have a hard copy backup as well as backups on flash drives.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

I have a closet in my office with a special shelf just for them. The shelf is getting full. Some of them will never see the light of day. They're horrendous first efforts. A couple, I've used parts of in my works that did sell. Which is probably why I continue to keep them. I take the idea and parts of scenes or characters or something salvageable and reuse it. That way, they're not a total waste.

Nancy Haddock liked the idea of this little poll. "...what a great idea! Thanks for the offer to play!"

Nancy is the author of La Vida Vampire, out April of this year from Berkley Trade. The next in her popular series is Last Vampire Standing, also from Berkley Trade in May 2009.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

Fulls and partials - 15-20

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

Some are saved as files, at least 6 as hard copies, and I've lost some.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

A few of the partials are in files, the fulls are bound with rotting rubber bands, and they are in boxes or plastic bins in the attic now. I was told I need to keep the hard copies of pubbed work, too, but storage is going to get old fast!

"Thanks again for the fun. I'll look forward to reading all the responses - and hopefully getting storage ideas!"

Susan Lyons is the author of Unwrap Me, coming from Kensington in October 2008. The ISBN is 978-0-7582-2853-6 if you want to order now from your favorite bookstore.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

10 (yikes!)

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

Electronic file plus off-site electronic backup (though the research material is in boxes).

If hard copy, where do you store them?

I store the research material in boxes in my increasingly-cluttered home office shelves.

Tomorrow, Jane Toombs, Judi Fennell, and Jane Myers Perrine will Sling Words for us as they explore the issue of unpublished manuscripts.

Takeaway Truth


A published author is one who never gave up. Look at all the authors who have visited the last few days and see how many times they tried and were told no. Did they quit? No. They possess persistence. That is crucial to a successful writing career or to any career you name.

No comments:

Post a Comment