Best I can do

I have a tough time keeping up with anything other than my highest priority items in the summer. Summer makes me lazy. The lines from the song Summertime: "Summertime and the living is easy" is my theme song.

Call it a throwback to my childhood when summertime meant three months of playing softball, eating watermelon until I was ready to pop, and reading book after book, often into the wee hours of the morning. One of my favorite memories was lying in bed with the attic fan pulling the cool breeze in through the windows while I read one exciting mystery after another. Nancy Drew when I was much younger and Mary Stewart, Ed McBain, and other masters of the genre.

This is a roundabout explanation of why there are no blog entries for the last few days. About the best I can manage right now, even though I promised myself I'd blog today, is a good quotation. This one is particular relevant to my lazy attitude.

Wait for it. Wait.... Here it is: "Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap."

So said one of my heroes, the great Barbara Jordan, the late Congresswoman from Texas. I've always thought she would have made a great President of our country.

1 comment: