Who Is Suz deMello?

Please help me welcome Suz de Mello to SlingWords.

About Suz deMello

Best-selling, award-winning author Suz deMello, a.k.a Sue Swift, has written 17 romance novels in several subgenres, including erotica, comedy, historical, paranormal, mystery and suspense, plus a number of short stories and non-fiction articles on writing.

A freelance editor, she’s held the positions of managing editor and senior editor, working for such firms as Totally Bound, Liquid Silver Books and Ai Press. She also takes private clients.

Her books have been favorably reviewed in Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist, won a contest or two, attained the finals of the RITA and hit several bestseller lists.

A former trial attorney, Suz's passion is world travel. She’s left the US over a dozen times, including lengthy stints working overseas. She’s now writing a vampire tale and planning her next trip.

Find Suz deMello Online

Website: http://www.suzdemello.com
Editing Services: suzdemello @ gmail.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/suzdemello
Twitter: Her reading picks @ReadThis4fun & @Suzdemello
Blog: http://www.TheVelvetLair.com

Suz deMello Tackles the Dirty Dozen

1. In which genre do you write and why that particular genre?

I write erotic romance because it reflects the human condition. For a while, I wrote sweet romance, and the hardest aspect of that subgenre was keeping lovers out of bed, or not showing the reader what was transpiring between the sheets—when we all know that some very deep emotional interactions take place during physical intimacy.

Writing romance without writing sex requires using narrative and introspection to a greater degree, a degree that affects the pacing of a book. The story slows down. That may be a good thing, but in our fast-paced culture, most readers want to move along rather than plod.

2. What's your most recent book and what's it about?

My most recent publication is Sherlock’s Scandal.

A bored Sherlock is a dangerous Sherlock. His twin vices of cocaine and sex could prove his undoing, until he meets his match in elusive, enigmatic Irene Adler. Hiding her heart, Irene deserts Sherlock in the midst of their affair. He schemes to win her back, but the lady won’t come easily to hand. Instead, she forces him to compete for honor, glory and love.

3. As an author, what can readers expect when they read one of your books?

Readers should expect the unexpected.

4. How did you "become" an author? For instance, was there a moment when you said: "I think I'll write a book."

Yes, there was. I had long sensed a creative spirit inside of myself, but had no idea how to express it. I sang in choirs and rock bands; I majored in art at UC Davis, where I painted, made sculptures and conceptual art. Then my life took a radically different twist, and I became an attorney, practicing trial law for nearly20 years.

I was miserable.

A year or so after I married, a friend persuaded me to take a class called “Writing for Publication.” In it, I learned the nuts and bolts of the publishing industry, including the fact that romance novels comprise the lion’s share of the fiction market. There were so many published that I said to myself, “Hey, I bet I could do that, too.”

And I was right. After selling 3 books, I ditched the law to write full-time.

5. What's the best thing about being an author?

Freedom. I go to work in my PJs and zebra-striped slippers.

6. What's the worst thing about being an author?

This career is a marathon, not a sprint, and an author has to be very determined. This is not an easy business.

7. Do you have editions of your books available other than ebook editions?

Yes. Periodically my main publisher, Ellora’s Cave, puts out print editions of my books. And there are still quite a few print books around written by my sweeter romance alter ego, Sue Swift.

8. Do you listen to audio books? If so, what device do you use?

I do not.

9. What device do you use to read ebooks?

I love my Kindle Paperwhite.

10. If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?

“Mama, don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys.”

11. If you could tell readers one thing, what would it be?

Read my books!

12. What is your big dream (or goal) as a writer?

Hit #1 on every best-seller list out there and retire to Italy.

Buy Sherlock’s Scandal by Suz deMello

Kindle Edition

Elora's Cave

Takeaway Truth

A little vacation can always be found between the covers of a book. Buy a book today for a getaway from the mundane.

2 comments: