Writers and the Short Pitch

Have you ever asked another author what her book is about and then cringed when she rambled all over the place?

When he/she finished talking, you probably had no clear idea of what the book was about.

It's embarrassing for the author and the listener when that happens.

One of the first skills to be learned by a wannbe author is the Short Pitch.

WHAT IS A SHORT PITCH?

It's a consise, succint sentence that tells someone what the book is about. One sentence is best. Two is good. Three is fair. If you have to use more than three sentences to explain your book, you probably don't have a clear grasp of your plot, characters, conflict, and overall story.

When I was learning to fly, my instructor pilot taught me to always know 3 things when I called the tower—the air traffic controller: 

(1 ) who I was (in flying that meant my plane's tail number

(2) where I was (that's my heading or compass location)

(3) what I wanted (was I calling the tower because I wanted to land or needed information or what?).

You don't get chatty with the tower. When you call, you must quickly and succinctly tell them these things. The bottom line is you make sure you clearly communication those three things so you get what you want.

15-30 SECOND PITCH

The short pitch is delivered to anyone who asks you about your book whether that's an editor, agent, or reader. It's very useful in talking with readers you meet at book events or out in public.

With a Short Pitch available, you won't be at a loss when you're at a social events and someone asks, "What do you do?" (What's your occupation?) You say, "I'm an author who just released my first (or 50th) book. It's about yada yada."

The Short Pitch can be used to pitch your book or your brand, or an idea or manuscript to an editor or agent. There are many websites and print articles that give information about this skill. Here's my 30 second version of the short pitch skill based on my pilot training.

Who You Are

In a pitch, you want to get across your identity as you introduce yourself if you're pitching to an editor or agent. In the case of writers, it might be: “I'm Joan Reeves, and I write Romance in various sub-genres. Or, "I'm Joan Reeves, and I hit the New York Times and the USA Today bestsellers list in 2015 with a novella in a box set collection.”

When I worked as a freelance writer, I used this intro: "I'm Joan Reeves, and I write effective and entertaining advertising copy for clients who appreciate articulate presentation of their businesses or products.”

Where You Are

Include this if the information enhances your pitch, for instance, you're pitching to someone in your local area. Local booksellers, libraries, businesses that sponsor events for employees, etc. I.e., I'm Joan Reeves, and I live in the Houston area which is the setting for several of my novels.

Fortunately, if you're an indie self-published author or a freelance writer, location isn't much of an issue because the entire world is your client base. In the past, I wrote for clients in Canada, Germany, England, Italy, Japan, and Australia. 

What You Want

What you want is to promote yourself, your brand, your product, or your business. What you want should also be viewed as what you want to give the listener, the reader—the audience. 

Initially, you want to give the person receiving your pitch the incentive to help you promote your work.

In the book signing scenario, you want to sign your new release at a book store. The store manager or owner wants you to give him/her something that will draw customers to the store. The "What You Want" should always be a win/win for you and the person receiving the pitch.

In pitching to an agent, what you want is representation. What the agent wants is a book that has legs and will sell itself to editors. Your pitch needs to tell them why your manuscript will do that. "I'm Jane Doe, and my manuscript has won first place in ten writing competitions. Judges have likened it to The Hunger Games for a new generation." (Then rattle off your 1 sentence logline.)

In indie self-publishing a book, you want a reader to buy your book. The reader wants to know what makes your book one she wants. Your blurb and book cover are the pitch to the reader. 

I believe it was motivational speaker Brian Tracy who said people listen to radio station WII-FM,  What's In It  For Me. Everyone wants to know what's in it for me?

Your pitch for whatever you're selling must be a win-win for you and the other person. Are you offering a good read or a great product?

What does the other person get? Information? Entertainment? Big sales? Lots of traffic into a bookstore? Spend some time thinking about the Win/Win Equation. 

TAKEAWAY TRUTH

Work on your Short  Pitch—whether that’s an oral pitch or a book blurb. Developing the short pitch skill will help you sell yourself, your brand, your books, or your whatchamacallit. That's a win for you. Make your book or product top notch. That's a win for the reader or the end user.


Love to read? Sign up for my free newsletter, I LOVE READING. You'll receive exclusive content, giveaways, and bargains.

No comments:

Post a Comment