Is He Teasing or Flirting? by Joan Reeves #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor #Romance #Contemporary

Welcome to Wednesday and this week's Marketing For Romance Writers Blog Hop.

Enjoy this Excerpt from FOOLISHLY YOURS

Look for the #MFRWhooks hashtag on Twitter and Facebook to read the other excerpts.

Grayson opened the music app on the smart TV, and It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere by Jimmy Buffet and Alan Jackson started playing.

Samantha saluted him with her water bottle. “Kudos on selecting the perfect background music for a beach bum like you.”

“Is that what I am? A beach bum?” Grayson drank deeply from his bottle of water.

“Dude, you’ve got long shaggy hair, you haven’t shaved in at least a month, and your bronzed skin is darker than mine—and I’m quadracial. Plus, you’re unemployed.” She shrugged. "You know what they say. If it quacks like a duck, etcetera."

Grayson ignored her crack about ducks. “Quadracial huh? I bet it’s fun filling out standard forms with that information.”

He grinned. “So what four ancestors do you thank for your beauty?”Ignoring his flattery, she gave him a withering look as an answer. 

When he crossed his eyes in response, she could only laugh. “African, Cherokee, Hispanic, and white.”

He gave a disconsolate sigh. “And I’m just a plain ordinary white boy.”

Sam didn’t think there was anything plain or ordinary about his well-muscled tanned body, his strong runner’s legs, wide shoulders, biceps, and—Stop it, she ordered herself.

“Well, Officer Ruiz, if you don’t mind my saying so, your quad combination is spectacular.”

Even though she was warmed by his compliment, she scoffed in response. “That’s really smooth, but in my opinion you’re still an unemployed beach bum.”

“Not true. I’m self-employed.”

“Of course you are.” Sam muttered and took a long drink from the bottle of water. “How much of this mythical pirate book have you written?”

“In my head or on my laptop?” He scooted closer to her.

 “I don’t think in your head counts, does it? I mean, I can’t read a book if it’s in your head.”

She’d not noticed before how his dark blue eyes gleamed when he was teasing. Or was he flirting, she wondered as he scooted even closer.

“You got me. I have zero words stored on my laptop, but I’ve been thinking about writing.”

“That doesn’t count either. What have you been doing up here all alone?”

Grayson moved all the way over until mere inches separated them. “I’ve been thinking about you.”

“Me?” Flustered, Sam didn’t know how she felt about that matter of fact statement—or about the way her body responded to his answer and his closeness.

Maybe he was teasing her, but the heat in his gaze told her he was also flirting.

She should put an end to this immediately. So why was she hesitating?

FOOLISHLY YOURS is a Kindle Unlimited Romance free read. 

Takeaway Truth

Thanks for reading. Visit the other #MFRWhooks for other captivating excerpts.





7 comments:

  1. Hello, Joan!

    Is this your first Book Hooks? (Of course, I don't participate every week, so I might have missed your debut.)

    Anyway, this is a GREAT excerpt. Funny, sexy and very believable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisabet Sarai! Yes, this is my first Book Hooks even though I've belonged to MFRW for several years. I'm a slow starter. *g*

      Delete
  2. Really great teasing excerpt. He is flirting and perhaps more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for commenting. I appreciate knowing when something hits the mark.

      Delete