Review: Wanted, Australian Netflix Series

The SlingWords Review Staff (Darling Hubby and I) just finished watching the 3 seasons of Wanted, an Australian crime thriller.

I understand that this series was Australia's most-watched drama series of 2016.

I can certainly understand why most viewers were glued to their seats as the series with its train-wreck characters unfolded.

The first thing you'll notice is how every situation has unexpected complications. Complications? OMG! It's more like every single action results in catastrophic complications with no easy resolution in sight.

You might say an alternate title for this series could easily be "out of the frying pan and into the fire" because that's exactly what happens scene after scene after scene. You end up on the edge of your seat to see what happens next. I guarantee you won't see what's coming next. 

After a few episodes of this kind of plotting, I knew to expect increasingly worse complications with the characters always making the wrong choice. It was exhausting.

I mentioned train-wreck characters. I don't think I've ever watched anything where every character was so emotionally damaged, so screwed-up that they always chose the off-the-wall, criminal solution to everything!

Having said all that, the crazy weirdo characters end up getting to you. Even as you're shouting, "How can you be so stupid?" you're understanding that they're acting within the framework of their respective personalities and attitudes. 

The Cast

Rebecca Gibney as Lola Buckley.
Geraldine Hakewill as Chelsea Babbage.
Stephen Peacocke as Detective Josh Levine.
Nicholas Bell as Ray Stanton.
Charles Cottier as David Buckley.

There are more members of the cast, but these are the ones you need to know for the first season.

Binge Watching Continues

After the first season's episodes finished, I was hesitant to start Season 2 because it was so frustrating! 

I have a really low threshold for stupidity, which characterizes far too many of the characters' actions, but Darling Hubby couldn't wait to dive in.

Halfway through Season 2, I gave up and got a book to read. Darling Hubby couldn't believe I could just stop watching. *LOL* 

I asked him why he wanted to keep watching. He said, "I'm watching to see how on earth the writers get them out of the latest catastrophe."

That's the kind of answer I should have given! Maybe I'm rubbing off on him. *g*

Takeaway Truth

Check out the trailer for Wanted on YouTube. If you're a Netflix subscriber, be sure and watch Wanted.

Be first to know about new releases and giveaways, sign up for my Newsletter!
When you confirm your subscription, you'll receive a link to a free ebook.

I'm online! Follow me or just say hello.
Amazon | BookBub | Facebook | Twitter | Website | YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment