Why Keep Writing?

Beginning a couple of weeks ago, I started questioning whether I wanted to throw in the towel, pull the pin, or any of those other phrases that describe retiring.

Darling Hubby is retired now, and I know he'd like me to do the same plus there are other considerations, which I won't share at this time, that make retirement seem inevitable.

Book royalties seem to keep declining, and authors everywhere are bemoaning the minuscule royalties most are earning.

Wisdom of Wiser Authors

I turned to what other authors had ti say about the pros and cons.

Norman Mailer said, "Writers don’t have lifestyles. They sit in little rooms and write."

That's true. I might be able to have a normal lifestyle if I didn't write.

Jim Murray said, "Learn to write. Never mind the damn statistics. If you like statistics, become a CPA."

I've usually ignored the depressing stats on book sales and who's making or not making a living wage.

I think your reality is what you make it to a great extent. If you think you'll be above the norm, then you probably will be.

Kingsley Amis said, "If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."

*G* Yes, there are definitely some benefits in writing and making people who have "done you wrong" in some way the villain in a book. You, the author, may be the only one who knows, but that's a way of dealing with your own emotional baggage that helps.

Jessamyn West said, "Writing is so difficult that I often feel that writers, having had their hell on earth, will escape all punishment thereafter."

Hey, a "get out of jail free" card. Cool.

Of course, the bottom line is that I write because it brings me satisfaction and happiness.

It fulfills me on an elemental level. I've never been in it for the money because it's all a crap shoot. 

Takeaway Truth

My decision is easy. I'll retire when I don't have the desire to tell stories any more or when it doesn't "complete me."

No comments:

Post a Comment