Take 5 with JD Corbett

This morning, I'm having coffee with JD Corbett, the author of Leaving Kate.

In case, JD Corbett is new to you, here's a bit about her in her own words.

About JD Corbett

"I've always had a passion for writing! Ever since I was a little kid, I loved to write stories, and even enjoyed my assigned essays in school! (I can hear the sighs and eye rolls!)

Some of my favorite books (beside my secret passion for teen fiction) are light-hearted and witty romances, and I hope that my writing can attest to that! I am a nurse and educator by trade, but am excited that I can now share my creative side.

On a personal note, I live outside of DC with my husband and daughter, who put up with a lot from me!"

Find JD Corbett Online: Website * Facebook * Twitter * Amazon Author Page.

Let's see how JD answers today's 5 questions.


Take 5 With JD Corbett

Q1: What is your guilty pleasure when it comes to books?

Jennifer: I am absolutely obsessed with teen fiction! Some of my favorites are the Clique novels by Lisi Harrison and I LOVE Nicola Yoon! Yes, I am in my 30’s and most of my reading is for tweens/teens…I can finally admit it!

Q2: In your most recent book, who would you cast as the main characters and why?

Jennifer: I have actually put a lot of thought into who I would cast in the role of Eric, and it would definitely be Luke Pell from JoJo’s season of the Bachelorette. I mean, he’s perfect…plus he fits my character to a T, from the southern drawl to his plaid shirts! For Kate’s character, there were a couple people in mind, but

Q3: What would you change about your career path if you could wave a magic wand?

Jennifer: I have been a nurse for 9 ½ years, and love what I do, but if I could wave a wand and place myself anywhere, I’d want to be working at a zoo or reserve with animals. My dream job as a kid was to work with tigers and other big cats. I did volunteer once at a Big Cat Reserve, but left as soon as I noticed the unusual amount of HUGE spiders that were all over the park! Yuck.

Q4: Do you listen to music during any phases of writing a book? If so, what kind?

Jennifer: I absolutely listen to music while writing, and throughout all phases!

It’s funny, because if I’m reading for fun (not my own stuff), I need complete silence, but while writing and editing my stories, I can only focus with music playing.

I listen to all sorts of music, and depending on scenes or characters, the genre changes. For example, I loved listening to Peter Gabriel’s Book of Love while writing more moving scenes between Kate and Eric. But I’ve been known to listen to anything from Rap to Disney songs!

Q5: Any final things you’d like to say to SlingWords readers?

Jennifer: I just want to add how excited I am to be a part of the Reader/Author community!

This is a dream come true, and I hope you enjoy my first book. As a newbie, I welcome all advice! So bring it on!

Leaving Kate by JD Corbett

No big chances, and no big changes. This was Kate’s motto. With her father out of the picture, and a mother who had quit being mom a long time ago, Kate finds herself floating through life under the shelter of her brother and best friend.

Afraid of rocking the boat and having to face the world alone, she makes every effort to keep her circle tight. That is, until she meets Eric, the charming Southern boy from Texas who stands out like a sore thumb in the bustling city of D.C. Eric has suffered much in his past, but, unlike Kate, he has learned to grow from his experiences instead of run from them.

When Eric first arrives in the city, he is a bit out of place. His southern drawl and beat up cowboy boots aren’t exactly a fit for the area. Motivated by the necessity to get the best help possible for his mother, he strives to rise above his tragic past and make the most of his new surroundings.

He already has plans to be a soldier, just like his father, and he will see his commitments through. After meeting Kate, he thought that falling in love was a positive turning point in his life, but instead he was taken for a ride on an emotional roller coaster.

Just when Kate finally begins to let her guard down, letting Eric in, dark events cloud her new sunny attitude towards life and love. After a traumatic incident that shatters her whole world, fears from her past re-surface and she is forced to decide if she is willing to stay open to love, or if the risk is just too great.

A decision needs to be made soon or she will lose everything.

Add Leaving Kate to Your Romance Library

You will find this romance at: Amazon * Apple * B & N * Kobo * Scribd.

Takeaway Truth

Readers, the weekend is upon us. Why not try Leaving Kate, a debut romance novel by JD Corbett?

No comments:

Post a Comment