Thursday3Some: Against Her Will by Serita Stevens and Jo Schaffer

Please welcome Serita Stevens and Jo Schaffer, authors of Against Her Will, available in eBook and trade paperback.

Meet Serita Stevens

Serita Stevens is an award-winning author, screenwriter, and teacher of writing. She has written over 30 published books and short stories. Some of her titles include the bestseller Book of Poisons (Writer s Digest Books), The Forensic Nurse (St. Martin s Press), The Ultimate Writers Handbook For Books And Scripts (Motivational Press), and The Transylvania Art Heist: The Chas Allen Story (2015).

Stevens holds a Masters Degree in Communications and Writing from Antioch University in London, England, and has taught at UCLA, USC, and Loyola Marymount University, among others. She is an active member of Women in Film.

Find Serita Stevens Online

Website * LinkedIn * Facebook * Twitter

Meet Jo Schaffer

Jo Schaffer is an author, speaker, and blogger who studied Arts and British literature in London, England. She is a founding member of Writers Cubed, a non-profit organization formed to promote literacy, and co-creator of Teen Author Boot Camp (TABC), the largest teen author conference in the United States. Internationally recognized authors who have presented at TABC include James Dashner (The Maze Runner) and Ally Condie (Matched). Jo is also involved in independent film.

Find Jo Schaffer Online

WebsiteTwitter * Facebook * Instagram

About Against Her Will

My name is Cassidy Connor and my parents hate me. Well, they can go to hell. After yet another fight with my manipulative lawyer father and Bible-thumping mother, I disappear onto Hollywood Blvd. among the other street kids. Or so I thought. The cops pick me up for a BS crime I didn't commit, and Dad announces the only way I can avoid charges is to voluntarily admit myself into Oak Dale, a psych ward for crazy teens. I don't belong there -- my parents are the real nut-jobs --but it's not like I have a choice.

At Oak Dale, everyone is going on about the kid who just killed himself trying to escape. How could they dump me in a place like this? I'm thrown in with my anorexic roommate, Erin; foster care system victim, Gina; and pyromaniac Tony. Guess he likes to light 'em up. All of us are unwanted baggage, here against our will. 

I quickly learn only the strong survive Oak Dale -- and some of us won't make it out alive.

When did you write Against Her Will?

Persistence is the key here. I started Against Her Will nearly fifteen years ago - -- when Serita worked as a nurse at a psychiatric hospital specializing in teens. I let the partial languish until my current literary agent, Italia Gandolfo of Gandolfo Helin & Fountain Literary Management, asked for a list of my works in progress. Immediately, Italia saw the potential in the book and teamed me up with Jo Schaffer, a writer who co-founded Teen Author Boot Camp. We finished the book based on my original outline, and Jo added her own unique style of writing.

What was the spark that gave you the story idea?

It was inspired by the events I experienced on the teen ward in the psychiatric hospital. Teen psych wards are often "throw-away" places for children whose parents can't handle them. I saw many kids who did not deserve to be there, but were admitted by parents who could not or did not want to deal with them. In reality it was the parents who needed the lessons.

Why do readers want to buy Against Her Will?

Teens will either identify with, or be fascinated by, the struggle of the characters. The book is very raw and real. The reader experiences the journey of being a "throw- away" teen first hand. Against Her Will is a story of how kids deal not only with their parents and the system, but with their own inner demons. Some won't make it through unscarred -- or alive.

Add Against Her Will To Your Library

Amazon * True North Publishing * B&N

Takeaway Truth

The weekend is coming at us. Better grab a good book and get ready to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment